PDA

View Full Version : lux reading help

martym
12-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I bought a lux meter today (my bubble and hammer coral aren't doing very well) I can't seem to find any info on what the readings should be. I'm a little dissapointed that the reader didn't come with some guidelines. I measure around 5800 in the middle of the tank and 3800 at the bottom. right under the light (2x175w MH) it read 22200. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Thanks

Bob I
12-17-2005, 07:02 PM
I bought a lux meter today (my bubble and hammer coral aren't doing very well) I can't seem to find any info on what the readings should be. I'm a little dissapointed that the reader didn't come with some guidelines. I measure around 5800 in the middle of the tank and 3800 at the bottom. right under the light (2x175w MH) it read 22200. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Thanks

As far as I know 5800 is Ok. John Tullock's book "Natural Reef aquaria" (I believe it is called.) Gives a good explanation. I wiil have look when I have a minute, and give another answer later.

martym
12-17-2005, 09:38 PM
thank you for your help

Bob I
12-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Okay Marty, I have had a look at Tullock's book. I am afraid it is a bit complicated, so I will give you the condensed version. In 1999 he felt that 10,000 lux at the surface of the water was adequate for most marine organisms. Now Lux is Lumens per square meter. Convert the area of the surface of your tank to square meters, and multiply that by 10,000 to give you the number of Lux required. We have not taken into account the depth of the water, or dirt in the water. We have at this point only looked at the number of lux at the surface.

That is the best I can do for now. Let the arguments begin. Remember though, I am giving someone else's recommendations.