PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Decide On A Store Quick

SW_freak
12-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey,
I am heading to calgary and I dont know what stores to visit. I was thinking of hitting up Wai's and golds. Does anyone know what their stock levels are like right now, what their prices are like, and when they get their orders?

dunl
12-15-2005, 04:47 AM
Gold's stock arrives on Friday mornings, and is gone pretty quicly, but they have great pricing on most things.

Here's their website... www.cichlids.ca

Tarolisol
12-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Gold's stock arrives on Friday mornings, and is gone pretty quicly, but they have great pricing on most things.

Here's their website... www.cichlids.ca

Actully i believe there stock arrives thrusdays that is why they are closed on thursdays. Golds has lots of good corals there at the moment, and with all the frags there doing you should be able to find stuff there pretty steadily. Fish though are a different story. Wais is good for fish, but can get a little pricey. Big als has TONs of fish in right now.

SW_freak
12-15-2005, 05:26 AM
I heard to stay away from big als they are kinda like pet cetera a grave yard for fish. I am just looking for some black percs, a skunk cleaner for a friend and some small zoo's, mushrooms, and toadstool leather frags. Nothing big and pricey. I just want somthing small.

Heck even if i could meet up with somone who has some assorted little frags they could sell me i would be happy.

adidas
12-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I heard to stay away from big als they are kinda like pet cetera a grave yard for fish. I am just looking for some black percs, a skunk cleaner for a friend and some small zoo's, mushrooms, and toadstool leather frags. Nothing big and pricey. I just want somthing small.

Heck even if i could meet up with somone who has some assorted little frags they could sell me i would be happy.

Big Al's isn't that bad, bought all my fish there

SJSobczyk
12-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I have to agree i have never had any problems at all with live stock from Big Al's. Went there last night and it looks as though they recently got a shipment in. Some nice fish and pricing isnt too bad!

Steve

Tarolisol
12-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Out of all the fish i have bought, big als is the only store that i have never lost a fish from. And to compare it to petcetera is just rediculus (sp?).

SW_freak
12-15-2005, 06:30 PM
OK sorry just what i had heard. Do they carry alot of inverts like shrimp and coral?

OCDP
12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Why not phone these places and just ask them what they have in and what you're looking for ?

SW_freak
12-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Why not phone these places and just ask them what they have in and what you're looking for ?

LOL good idea never thought of that. I feel like a dum @$$

RobbAdams
12-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Personally Gold is my favorite shoppe, Wai's probably has everything you would ever realistically want,his corals are probably the prettyest(is that a word?) but are pricey. Oceans has really made some positive changes, and has reasonable prices (I have yet to buy something from there though), Big Al's is pretty good for a chain in my opinion, however I have gotten some questionable advise there before. Their corals tend to be high priced, but the fish etc are competitive.

Robb

digital-audiophile
12-16-2005, 02:55 AM
I like Big Al's always very good to me. I did by a bleaching brain from there that ended up dying, and of their last shipment of fish I bought a purple Psyduchromis that unfortunatley had ick.. then I made the mistake of dosing my tank with nox-ick and have lost my xenia, and my hammer is struggling... but that is another story for another day :(

Mazi79
12-16-2005, 07:28 AM
Gold's usually has a good selection of stock in (if you can get there early enough) and really good prices on coral and fish. Oceans is good as well on stock and prices usually. Wai's has a large selection or Corals but they're a bit pricey. Big Al's I find is a crap shoot... sometimes they have good stock but they're usually overpriced...

SW_freak
12-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Ive been through Gold for discus when I was setting up my pairs and didnt look at their SW stock. I have heard good things apparently they'ra rays are eating pellets so they gotta be doing somthing good. Albert you probally know Bruce from tropical fish imports in lethbridge. Every time i am down there thats all he talks about is the pellet eating ray.

albert_dao
12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Oh, yeah, I set him up with a whole whack of quality Africans a month or so ago.

SW_freak
12-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes he still has those. Unfortunaly he couldnt get the 7 bar frontosas to eat and has 1 left :( but the calvus are looking great.

albert_dao
12-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Weird, those were captive bred in store.

SW_freak
12-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Ya it was but the guy threw them in with some 1 inch peacocks so it doesnt surprize me. :rolleyes: