PDA

View Full Version : Chloramine in calgary?

balistidae
12-14-2005, 02:38 AM
Just wondering if our plants in calgary use this awful stuff. thanks,Greg

Delphinus
12-14-2005, 03:05 AM
AFAIK, no.

AndyL
12-14-2005, 03:12 AM
I think we should add... YET ...

Some of the current upgrades/expansions on the local WTP's will be changing that unfortunately.

Andy

Delphinus
12-14-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeah that's why I said "AFAIK" -- the answer was no in the past but you never know when things change. Got a link to any CoC page confirming that Andy, where did you hear it?

AndyL
12-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Well nothing that I could share - can't be bothered to search the CoC website, spent enough time staring at the plans for bearspaws expansion... Let's just say you don't need that much ammonia storage for 'around the plant cleanup'.

Andy

Beverly
12-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Edmonton has had chloramine in its water system for years. Chloramine is a much more stable compound than simple clorine. I imagine that a large and up to date city like Calgary would be using it as well.

Matt
12-14-2005, 02:12 PM
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_104_0_0_35/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Living/Residential+Resource/Utilities+and+Services/Water+and+Wastewater/Water+Quality/Water+Quality+Strategy.htm
"... the chlorine we use to disinfect the water."

No chloramine in Calgary.

Matthew

Beverly
12-14-2005, 10:03 PM
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_104_0_0_35/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Living/Residential+Resource/Utilities+and+Services/Water+and+Wastewater/Water+Treatment/Water+Treatment+Tour/Pre-chlorination.htm
"As water enters the treatment plant, a chlorine solution is added to kill microorganisms and viruses that can cause disease."

What's a "chlorine solution"?

Water department workers not directly involved with the treatment process will tell you they use chlorine. When we had a mechanical water related problem in our residence a few years ago, I asked the fix-it guy in the truck about what the city used to treat the water, knowing already about the chloramine. He said "chlorine". I think the word "chlorine" is often used because it's simpler to say and explain compared to the complexities of chloramine.

Probably the best way to find out what is actually in the water is to contact one of the lab techs at a WTP and ask if they use chloramine or chlorine. That's what we did when we first got into keeping FW fish.

Bob I
12-14-2005, 11:35 PM
There have been posts in the past documenting the fact that Calgary does NOT use chloramines. I cannot recall when, but the poster had printouts from the water treatment plants, which proved it.

AndyL
12-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Calgary doesn't currently use chloramine, as we have multiple water treatment plants, meaning the water isn't traveling over extreme distances to reach the tap. Whether the new plant comes online with chloramine, is an unknown, the tanks could simply be in expectation that at some point - they will need to use chloramine. Better to add the ability now, than try to retrofit it later.

Chloramine is actually simply adding ammonia as well as chlorine, which extends the length of time the chlorine is active. Which is needed when the source -> tap distances are far enough where there is a risk the chlorine could breakdown prior to hitting the tap.

Easiest way to know if you've got chloramine, is to take water straight from the tap and test for ammonia (without dechlorinating first) if you find some, then you've got chloramine. Of course, some apartment/buisnesses have a water filtration system built in - so your mileage may vary from location to location...

Andy

Bob I
12-15-2005, 12:12 AM
meaning the Whether the new plant comes online with chloramine, is an unknown, the tanks could simply be in expectation that at some point - they will need to use chloramine. Better to add the ability now, than try to retrofit it later.

Andy

Would you clarify that statement please as to what plant?, and what tanks?

Matt
12-15-2005, 02:03 AM
Would you clarify that statement please as to what plant?, and what tanks?bearspaws expansion... Let's just say you don't need that much ammonia storage for 'around the plant cleanup'.I think this explains it.