PDA

View Full Version : Flame in a 30gallon

SW_freak
12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I am setting up a 30 gallon tank (36*14*14). For fish I am going with 2 Black Percula Clownfish, 2 Banggai Cardnalfish, and I would like to add a Flame Angelfish.

I know these fish can pick at corals and clam mantels but i heard there are some out there that wont pick at them.

Could you guys give me some information on these guys. Websites can give you general information but it is nice to get it first hand from people who have had them. :D

Thanks everyone.

muck
12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
--> Moved to Reef Forum

OCDP
12-13-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't have one myself... but I have heard it's kind of a hit and miss deal. Some will, some won't.. or some won't , then out of no where they start nipping. I am not sure if it's worth taking the risk either way.... That's just my opinion though, I am sure others will chime in.

Scott

Chin_Lee
12-13-2005, 04:17 PM
try to keep a higher oxygen level in your tank for them to thrive. skimming 24/7 helps.

DanG
12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
I would expect that nipping at sps and clams would only happen when they're hungry, so if they're well fed, it shouldn't be a problem.

Winters
12-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Hi SW!

Here's mine:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/ihayat2/Aquarium_Gallery/2005_September/FlameAngelwithMushroomsandZoos.jpg

Just got this one a couple of months ago from OA in Delta, BC. Beautiful specimen but.. alas it does nip at my SPS polyps. Doesn't seem to damage them.. just annoy them. But still, it's an issue. Of course.. another issue is how to take it out of the tank without undoing all the aquascaping. :confused: (But that's a whole new thread) :rolleyes:

Angels are normally like that although some Flames can be quite docile. Just one's luck, I suppose. I'm not sure how one would tell at the LFS which one is better with SPS and clams. (I don't have a clam.. yet.. so I can't say much about Flames with them, but probably the same nipping issues)

I would say that oxygenation and feeding has very little to do with this behaviour - my Flame seems to nip at something practically every time it swims around from side-to-side, so it's normally quite frequent, no matter how much oxygen or skimming or feeding is currently happening in the tank. I doubt that even tank size really makes a big difference too.

So I will tend to agree with Scott: Avoid them if you've got SPS or clams, if possible. If not, keep trying till you get one that doesn't like to nip. They are beautiful fish! I know that for me colour was an issue, as I was trying to add some red into the tank. I know there are some other options for that though (some Wrasses or Anthias, etc.) so if you're wanting some red try something like that.

I hope that helps! :)

SW_freak
12-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Wow nice Flame Winters. I wont have SPS and dont think I will ever go with them. Although I may be wrong. As for a clam I would like one but it wont be for a while. How are they with other fish?

geopod
12-13-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a flame angel in my tank and I added a clam a few weeks ago and have sps in there as well.I havent seen mine nipping at anything just trying to dominate the tank a bit.Especially when I added the Yellow tang.He didnt like that too much but he calmed down.But No picking on corals at all.

My 2 pennies for ya

george

reeferaddict
12-13-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a flame in my 135 with SPS and 3 clams... he's never touched a thing, even during "lean" food times, and he gets along with everyone... but then he also has 6 feet of swimming space and a couple hundred pounds of rock to pick off & hide in...

Winters
12-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Wow nice Flame Winters. I wont have SPS and dont think I will ever go with them. Although I may be wrong. As for a clam I would like one but it wont be for a while. How are they with other fish? I have had no problems with my Flame and any other fish (I have a Yellow Tang, a Regal Tang, two Clarkii Clowns, two blennies, and a wrasse) so I wouldn't worry about it.

Essentially, Flame behaviour really depends on each individual specimen. If you're not keeping SPS then it shouldn't matter anyway. :cool:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/ihayat2/Aquarium_Gallery/2005_September/FlameAngelwithSpongeandRicordia.jpg

Oh right.. another picture of the Flame. :)

Take care.

SW_freak
12-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Nice I love them fish.

Sounds like they are pretty peaceful which is good. The only fish they will have with them is 2 black percs and maybe a small goby. But i love them Flames.

i have crabs
12-14-2005, 01:16 AM
mine almost killed a whole tank full untill the tank had to be broken down to catch it and put it in a fish only set up

Winters
12-14-2005, 03:01 AM
mine almost killed a whole tank full untill the tank had to be broken down to catch it and put it in a fish only set up Are you talking about a Flame nipping SPS? Yeah they are quite difficult to get out of the tank without undoing the rock work! :confused:

asherah
12-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Imran is that sponge hard to take care of ? I love it =)
Btw for some reason I got 2 zoo's and only 1 powerhead on that order on saturday... I wrote to them but he didn't write back yet.=p

asherah