PDA

View Full Version : baby cardinals

i have crabs
12-13-2005, 03:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i just had a mishap tonight with my bangaii cardinals and his batch of fry, this is his 3rd batch he has held onto for the full term, the first batch i cought 3 and found 3 in my sump dead, 2 of wich are doing well and about 5 monthes old, the second batch he held right untill the end i could see the babys in his mouth then poof all gone with no trace, i believe all got eaten by either the fire shrimp or some mystery fish i have,both of with seem to hang around towards the end,well this time i made the choice to catch him and move him to a 20g that i put a divider in where the othe 2 babys live i had do dig out about 40 pounds of rock and corals to catch him and had a hard time he has had the eggs for 1 month tommorow when i got him in the net he spit out about 15 not fully hatched babys wich i quickly moved him and them to the 20g and about half seem to have at least a chance the others i dont think were close enough but im hopein,
im shure there will be a next time and ill have to catch and move him sooner to try and avoid this,but i still think i made the right choice rather than give a meal to the tankmates

i have crabs
12-16-2005, 04:21 AM
well its thursday now and out of about 15 eggs 7 of them were alive and moving around but 4 went missing, i thing the older cardinals that are on the other side of the devider got them since thier was a gap on the sides were the devider goes up against the glass so i put a piece of filterfloss thier to plug the holes and the 3 remaings fry are doing good 3 days latter they dont seem to be eating yet but since ther still half egg with fins and eyes im not expecting them to eat for a few more days so hopfully all will be good.

NanoReef
12-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Wow! congrats! remember though, they can feed off that egg sack for quite a while so dont be TOO alarmed if they dont seem to be eating.