PDA

View Full Version : Killing the unkillable?

Doormatt
12-13-2005, 01:47 AM
Hmm. Not quite sure what's happening here.

The entire contents of my tank (37G with 20G sump, and 250W MH) consists of 10 blue leg hermits and 3 bits of Anthelia. One clump of Anthelia was utterly thriving yesterday, but when I came home from work, it was all gray and curled up. The other two clumps, which can't be more than 10cm away, are doing better than they were yesterday.

I know my nitrates are slighly high (10-20ish), but from what I was told, this wouldn't be a problem for this.

I'm not panicing in the slightest, if I lose these corals, it isn't a big deal at all...I'm just rather concerned that one of the hardiest corals out there (so I've heard) isn't doing too well in my tank :(

About the only thing I can think of is that yesterday they only had about 7 hours of light, and today they had closer to 10. The two that are doing better are in a less lighted (but not by much) area of the tank.

Any ideas?

Beverly
12-13-2005, 02:08 AM
How often do you do tank maintenance, including testing for and adjusting alkalinity, calcuim and magnesium?

Doormatt
12-13-2005, 02:15 AM
*grin* Haven't had to yet.

The tank's been running all of two weeks (never cycled due to well aged live rock from another tank). Alk, Salinity, Ph, NO3, N04 and Ammonia are all tested every 2-3 days, and all levels have been fine.

I do not test for calcium/mag yet, as I can't see anything uptaking it (yet). Once there's something in the tank which will consume it (again, the corals don't really count, as they're small as all get out, and only been in for 4 days).

Ruth
12-13-2005, 02:25 AM
That stuff is just weird. It will do well in some tanks and not in others. For the longest time I could not get it to grow in my tanks. It would be fine for about 3 weeks and then just start to shrivel and melt away. Of course that just made me want it more..........be careful what you wish for! Now it grows like there's no tomorrow but this only started happening about 3 months ago (my tank has been set up for a year). I've always tested my perameters every week for the first while and then every couple of weeks and now about once a month unless I notice something that looks off. You can look on other boards and see the same thing happening as far as people who can and can't get the stuff to grow and no one seems to be able to explain why? I would put it in my fuge but my chaeto grows so fast that I don't think it would do so good. Sorry not to offer anything really useful other than to suggest just keep trying. BTW mine is under 400W MH lights and still does well.