PDA

View Full Version : Pred Food

Richard_Dicosimo
12-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew where to purchase live food fish or inverts?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2191&emailconf=2191

i was thinking something along those lines but they do not ship to Canada.

Richard

EmilyB
12-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I used to buy ghost shrimp from Riverside. Pretty pricey meals tho @ $.50 a piece....

AndyL
12-12-2005, 11:35 PM
When they have them (its getting rare) they currently sell them for .59$ Be watchfull though, for every bag of 20, seems like I get 5 or so DOAs even before I hit the register.

Andy

Richard_Dicosimo
12-13-2005, 05:00 AM
is there such a thing as a saltwater feeder fish? other then say a 5$ chromis or damsel?

JSTR
12-13-2005, 05:12 AM
Around Calgary, not that I have found. Wai'sshrimp that is simillar to the ghosts at Riverfront, but at a buck a piece it gets to be an expensive meal. It looks like I will have to resort to raising my own to feed my two dwarf lions. If you think you may want to do this take a look at some of the forums in reef central under the aggressive tank section.

digitalsteve
12-14-2005, 03:48 AM
what you need to do is get your lions to eat frozen krill and so forth , it will save you a fortune

adidas
12-15-2005, 03:41 AM
hey Richard,

gold fish/minnows are 13cents each at petsmart. I buy them, and gut load them flake and cyclopeze before feeding my lion.

adidas
12-15-2005, 03:43 AM
I used to buy ghost shrimp from Riverside. Pretty pricey meals tho @ $.50 a piece....

I was buying them, they are like $3 each now, as the major suppliers stopped selling them. Well, thats what Nate at big al's was saying.

My lion would eat 4 of them at a time, now that gets expensive hehe

muck
12-15-2005, 05:13 AM
hey Richard,

gold fish/minnows are 13cents each at petsmart. I buy them, and gut load them flake and cyclopeze before feeding my lion.
Id be cautious about that as feeder minnows and feeder goldfish quite often are disease carriers.
I hope for your sake you are lucky and do not get any bad ones.

adidas
12-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Id be cautious about that as feeder minnows and feeder goldfish quite often are disease carriers.
I hope for your sake you are lucky and do not get any bad ones.

serious? I did not know that. So what do you suggest is a better feeder? or do I just get someone to train him to dead stuff?

muck
12-15-2005, 05:13 PM
I did a bit of digging on FW feeder fish for SW predetors. I came across an article that is a good read. It would seem that FW feeders also do not provide the proper nutrition that a SW predetor would need. It might be fine for awhile but will cause problems over the long run.
If it were me I would make a serious effort to train him onto Frozen or Freeze Dried foods. It might take a bit of effort but the results will be happier for you and your fish.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/invert.htm

fatpuffer
12-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Train him to go on prepared foods or get a couple of convicts and grow ur own feeder fish. I used to have a channa bleheri and i put the 2 inch convicts in a 4.5 gallon tank...bred like clockwork.

Js

adidas
12-15-2005, 10:28 PM
I did a bit of digging on FW feeder fish for SW predetors. I came across an article that is a good read. It would seem that FW feeders also do not provide the proper nutrition that a SW predetor would need. It might be fine for awhile but will cause problems over the long run.
If it were me I would make a serious effort to train him onto Frozen or Freeze Dried foods. It might take a bit of effort but the results will be happier for you and your fish.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/invert.htm

cool. yup i was aware they dont have the proper nutrition, thats why i stuff the feeders with flakes and cyclopeze first, i feed the feeders about 3 times/day.

I've tried to train him a few times, will get him trained eventually, he does take dead minnows now, he reaches right in the net... my next step will be to get him to take dead silversides from the net.