PDA

View Full Version : my angel died

asherah
12-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't know why. He was fine last night. Eating and swimming around like usual.
He has a few small nips out of his tail. Maybe the clowns killed him? I've never seen them have problems before.
The only thing new I've done is to add snails on saturday.
The ammonia is 0
nitrate is less than 40ppm - test doesn't go any lower,
and nitrite is less than 0.5ppm - test doesn't go any lower.
ph is 8.2
salinity is 1.024

any ideas?
asherah

danny zubot
12-13-2005, 02:07 PM
What kind of Angel fish was it? I had a flame angel that died for no reason that I could see. I found out later that they are sensitive to O2 levels in aquariums. Or perhaps it just didn't make the transistion well, how long did you have it?

Ruth
12-13-2005, 02:15 PM
I would suggest that you get some new test kits that give you a more accurate measure. Nitrite usually means that something in your tank is or has cycled. Nitrate at 40ppm usually fish are fine with that but some corals would not be too happy however you should be able to test for the lower levels. I recommend using Salifert test kits. Although not perfect they are probably the best that are readily available in the hobby. I have heard that angels are sensitive to O2 flucuations or more importantly lack of it in a system. A good skimmer will usually keep enough going through the water column. If you want to keep angels make sure you run a good skimmer 24/7.

asherah
12-14-2005, 03:17 AM
He was a coral beauty. I have a phosban reactor coming (praying this helps with the cyano, though it has slowed a bit) I have a maxijet 1200 and I convirted my dual whisper filter to a refugium so theres contant water agitation/flow from that.
Next purchase, protein skimmer! =) Can you recommend a decent one that doesn't cost like $800?
asherah

Ruth
12-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Your asking the bubble queen about a reasonably priced skimmer???? Actually I would recommend and ASM skimmer if you have a sump. They are simple to set up and operate and do a good job. You might be able to pick one up second hand for a good price. I see there is a Euroreef for sale on the board right now and they are basically the same skimmer just the Euroreef is the cadillac as far as construction goes. I may have an ASM G4 skimmer for sale in the new year that I will post.