PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead put in backwards?

Snoop Dog
12-12-2005, 03:54 AM
Heres the situation, I know it is only a difference of about 1 inch, but I need to put the bulkhead for my sump in backwards? threads and screw piece would be inside the sump, gasket and black female threaded end on outside.

Has anyone else done this? do I need to add an additional gasket to the inside? will it leak?

thanks for teh help!

KrazyKuch
12-12-2005, 04:14 AM
I have done it before and sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn't.....I believe it depends on how good the gasket is on the Bulk head!

prospero31
12-12-2005, 04:30 AM
I just did it (gasket on the inside) a few days ago and, well, that part is not the leaky part of the system

WWWD
12-12-2005, 05:20 AM
i had the bulkheads in my 90 upside down for 3 years with no leaks, i also needed the extra space.

StirCrazy
12-12-2005, 12:17 PM
works fine, just remember gasket always goes on the bulkhead side in or out (sorry had a blond moment), and add a film of silicone to all the parts befor you assemble it for added insuranced.

Steve

Snoop Dog
12-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Gaskets go on the outside, not inside?...... good thing you let me know!

Jason McK
12-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Gasket always goes on the wet side.

J

muck
12-12-2005, 02:15 PM
You are both half right..the Gasket goes on either side depending which way you choose to put the bulkhead it.
If the threaded part is out the gasket is on the inside. If the threaded part is in the gasket is on the outside.
Basically push the gasket onto the bulkhead and then install which ever way you want.

Snoop Dog
12-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Muck, is what J syaing correct, gasket is on the wet side, no matter which way the thread is pointing?

muck
12-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Muck, is what J syaing correct, gasket is on the wet side, no matter which way the thread is pointing?

If the threads are pointing to the inside of the tank the gasket goes on the outside of the glass.

If the threads are pointing outside of the tank the gasket goes on the inside of the glass.

The gasket always has to be against the flat part of the bulkhead itself.

BMW Rider
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
If the threads are pointing to the inside of the tank the gasket goes on the outside of the glass.

If the threads are pointing outside of the tank the gasket goes on the inside of the glass.

The gasket always has to be against the flat part of the bulkhead itself.

!00% correct. The gasket will only seal properly if sandwiched between the bulkhead flange and the glass/acrylic. If you put the gasket on the side with the nut, the water can seep past the threads. It does not matter that the gasket inside or outside as long as it is against the bulkhead flange. Never never never on the side with the nut.

Snoop Dog
12-12-2005, 06:49 PM
makes sense,

thanks everyone

StirCrazy
12-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Gaskets go on the outside, not inside?...... good thing you let me know!

forget that I screwed up... had to double check mine.. they go on either side depending on the set up, but always on the non thread side of the bulkhead.

Steve

StirCrazy
12-12-2005, 11:52 PM
hang on here

Steve