PDA

View Full Version : Stereo 3D Tank Pictures Challenge!

vertex
12-12-2005, 03:40 AM
OK, Its a challenge to see these. Some people have it and others require some practice.. However, here they are, good luck..

I've done these before and every now and then I just HAVE to post new ones. The first two show depth really nicely and the second two, not as great but still very cool.

Post your own if you have any!!!

**Viewing Instructions**

To view this, you need to sit back from your monitor (at least 4' away, more is often easier until you learn to focus on it) and cross your eyes until the two images line up. The right is the left eye and the left is the right eye so it will appear in full 3D once you get it in aligned and in focus... Focus is hard to get if you've never trained your eyes to do this before, once they line up, just keep staring and your eyes will suddenly get it and the image will just pop out at you!!

Another method if you can't cross your eyes very easily is to hold your finger in front of you while looking at the pictures and make the two images you see of your finger tip cross the same area of each image to help line them up in the background. Then look at the tip of your finger and the two images should be lined up, pull your finger out of the way at the exact time as you blink, and your eyes "might" focus on the image. Blinking works for some, not for others.

Let me know what you think if you can "see" these. The 3D effect is REALLY worthwhile if you are new to this...

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/10/img7989large5ss.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/1907/img7995large8dy.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/4060/img7992large2jg.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/3843/img7996large5uu.jpg

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any eye strain, headaches, aches and pains, muscle twitching, soreness, color loss, eye damage, furry, rage or any type of mental insanity that may be induced by prolonged periods of staring at your monitor cross eyed. View at your own risk!!

OK, maybe I should have put that at the top of the message !!
Mike

marie
12-12-2005, 03:46 AM
The problem is both pics don't fit on my screen :(

vertex
12-12-2005, 03:49 AM
I'd recommend you save them then and view em then if you run a low resolution (yikes, I thought they were too small on my 1600*1200!!) where you can change the size or zoom for viewing them. Other browsers like Opera or Firefox can zoom any page up or down which would work also if you have one of those.

They work best a little smaller so sit back farther or zoom out until you can see them easily. Then try it full screen to see the detail in em...

muck
12-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Wow!! That is really neat. Any trick to making them?
(It just looks like 2 identical pics side by side to me..)

Tarolisol
12-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Wow thats awsome, didnt take me to long to get it, but took a while afterwards to put my eyes back to normal.

vertex
12-12-2005, 05:09 AM
muck and tarisol,

Glad you could see them already! They are cool indeed! They are easy to make actually. I just take two pictures pointed at the same area, each with the camera moved about 5-10 cm sideways (the same width of your eyes is usually recommended). The trick is to take it of the same area exactly, use a tripod and all the same color/focus settings on your camera so things line up better.

Then put the left picture on the right and the right hand picture on the left side by side.

muck
12-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the tips Mike.
Think I might have to try that soon..

vertex
12-12-2005, 05:15 AM
I'd love to see any that you or others try. I've seen them done lots but not of aquariums...

Delphinus
12-12-2005, 06:43 AM
That's pretty neat. Course now I feel a little more loopy than usual .... :)

BT05
12-13-2005, 07:01 AM
A little trick that might work for some of you:

Cross your eyes slowly until you can a third image in the middle, don't attempt any focusing just let them blur out. There must be three complete images, partial ones will not work and your eyes will reset.

Once you are staring at three blurry images, begin slowly focusing on the middle one. Don't try to uncross your eyes or anything, just pay attention to the middle one and your eyes should focus themselves. The key is to maintain three images, once you start to lose the middle one your brain will interpret them as two separate images and the stereo effect is gone.

This should work regardless of the distance from the monitor, but is actually easier the closer you are.
Up your refresh rate to at least 85hz to reduce eye strain. At 60hz you will probably notice a wierd flickering effect.

The effect is amazing once you can jump across two different sets of stereo images without refocusing.

Oh and thanks for posting these! Great stuff!

Chad
12-14-2005, 05:05 AM
So, how does one make these? I would love to do this with my tank

vertex
12-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Chad, any specific questions on how to make em or is this enough??

They are easy to make actually. I just take two pictures pointed at the same area, each with the camera moved about 5-10 cm sideways (the same width of your eyes is usually recommended). The trick is to take it of the same area exactly, use a tripod and all the same color/focus settings on your camera so things line up better.

Then put the left picture on the right and the right hand picture on the left side by side.

Chad
12-14-2005, 02:02 PM
how would you do it with one camera in our tanks, considering the movement, would that not affect it?

Winters
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
how would you do it with one camera in our tanks, considering the movement, would that not affect it?
Yes, you wouldn't be able to do it with a fish, or anything moving at anything quicker than a snail's pace. (Hmm.. I guess snails will still be okay) :) Unless you can rig together a setup where you've got two cameras kind of taped together side-by-side, and get them to both use the same settings and take the picture at the same instant. THAT would work for fish, etc. and the distance apart would be fairly good too.

Stereo photographs are actually fairly easy, as you can read from other messages above. I've got a whole university degree where I did a huge amount of work analyzing stereo airplane/satellite images of land to do measurements of building heights and all sorts of stuff. Very neat, when you get into professional uses of stereo imagery. But that's a whole other.. uhh.. course. :rolleyes:

Take care!

muck
12-14-2005, 04:22 PM
You have a degree in being Cross-Eyed Imran..?? :p :D

Winters
12-14-2005, 05:36 PM
You have a degree in being Cross-Eyed Imran..?? :p :D Sure Ryan. :o Explains a thing or two.

Hmmm... now this is getting me all into taking a stereo image tonight.. probably of my Toadstool. Will have to see how it goes! :)

Matt
12-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I can see those "hidden image" 3-d things without any trouble, but I don't seem to be able to focus my eyes on these images. Even with the finger trick, I can't overcome the refocus as soon as I try to look at the monitor.

Anyone have any other tricks to "see" these images?

Matthew

Winters
12-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi Matthew!
I can see those "hidden image" 3-d things without any trouble, but I don't seem to be able to focus my eyes on these images. Even with the finger trick, I can't overcome the refocus as soon as I try to look at the monitor.

Anyone have any other tricks to "see" these images? In order to have a stero image, one needs to take two photographs of the same item, the second photograph being taken with the camera shifted to the right around oh.. let's say 5cm. This will produce two photographs of the same thing with there being an area of overlap. This overlapping area between the two photographs is the 'stereo' zone.

I think that the photographs above need to be modified/cropped a bit to bring this out, as I think that the camera HAS been moved between the photographs but the images have not been properly displayed to facilitate stereo viewing. Let me do an adjustment on a couple of them:

A mushroom:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ihayat/Miscellaneous/Mushrooms.jpg

Some polyps, etc.:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ihayat/Miscellaneous/MushroomsandWorm.jpg

How's that? Mike, I hope you don't mind me using one of your images to demonstrate the overlap idea. :o

Take care!

vertex
12-15-2005, 12:41 AM
winters, no problem at all, after all, you've got the degree in this department! :flasings:

Anyway, ya there is another way to create stereo images as well where the left image stays on the left and the right stays on the right, and then you don't have to cross your eyes and you isntead just stare through the monitor as if you're looking at a distant object and if the images are the exact width of your eye separation, the stereo image pops out at you.

However, with different monitor resolutions and the limitation of smaller pictures, I don't like that method and it is just as hard if you ask me.

I find if you learn to use a small image set (like that posted last) is easier since you don't have to cross your eyes as much to get them aligned, then it makes your focus point more natural. From there, you can go to bigger images or further away and still focus.

Once you get it, its easy, I can focus on these images and even two monitors completely side by side with the cross eyed method in just a second or two if I stand back enough. I often slowly move forward once I am focused (really slowly) and your eyes will adjust automatically.

Good luck... !!

Murminator
12-15-2005, 01:59 AM
yay I finally seen it:D I thought this was a joke but I seen winters edited images it does work........now I'm going to take a Tylenol I got a headache :confused:

Matt
12-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Thanks! Those smaller images were easy! Very cool effect.

Matthew

Ruth
12-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Well I've crossed my eyes, moved back, moved forward, have a scale 7 headache and still can't see the damn things in stereo! I'm going to bed now before I throw up.