PDA

View Full Version : A new Sea Hare

OCDP
12-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Just picked up a Sea Hare to clean the tank up... pretty amazing cleaners.. I know I've said it before in the past.. but it's been in the tank all of 2 hours and I already see him going to work..I strongly recommend them.

Scott

i have crabs
12-12-2005, 12:40 AM
what are you doing with it tommorow when your tanks bare ?

OCDP
12-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Hah..

It will take more than a day to get my tank clean. After all is clean, I will start hand feeding it.

Edmonton Eskimo
12-12-2005, 02:26 AM
hand feeding it will get old pretty quickly

i have crabs
12-12-2005, 02:27 AM
i dont really know much about them so i wont give you anymore greef i just hear they clean up the tank quickly and then start starving but i dont really have any first hand knoledge

OCDP
12-12-2005, 04:20 AM
I've kept one in the past before. But thanks.. I will be just fine. It doesn't need hand feeding every day... maybe once every 3 days. There is still tons of daily algae to graze on.

BMW Rider
12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Where did you get it from? I'm seriously considering getting one too. I have been battling bryopsis in my reef tank for a couple of months now, and nothing else will eat it. I understand that the sea hares will. Maybe I can give yours a new home and food supply once it cleans up your algae.

OCDP
12-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I got mine from Wai's... there's still some left too. Great for all types of algae IMO... my sandbed is going through a diatom outbreak, and when i put him on the sand and he started moving about, he took the diatoms with him :D

SJSobczyk
12-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Scott,

Instead of using something live you can always look into a UV sterilizer. I had a problem with an outbreak of diatoms and algea every once in a while and i hooked up a coralife turbo twist 8X to my fluval, and havent seen any since. It has been worth every penny. JMO!

Steve

Beverly
12-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Make sure your intakes are well covered with sea hares.

BT05
12-13-2005, 06:39 AM
Make sure your intakes are well covered with sea hares.

This reads a bit funny but I'm pretty sure we know what you mean... :)

Yes, sea hares are also clumsy too. When I had one, he would try to climb the steeper parts of my rockwork but then lose his grip and tumble to the sandbed. It's was funny to watch but then I realized that had to relocate my birds nest just in case.

I'm actually looking for the lettuce ones right now, but Wais only stock the brown ones regularly.

impreza
12-13-2005, 06:56 AM
How much are the sea hares at Wai's?

Beverly
12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
This reads a bit funny but I'm pretty sure we know what you mean... :)

Yes, sea hares are also clumsy too. When I had one, he would try to climb the steeper parts of my rockwork but then lose his grip and tumble to the sandbed. It's was funny to watch but then I realized that had to relocate my birds nest just in case.

I'm actually looking for the lettuce ones right now, but Wais only stock the brown ones regularly.

Hahahaha! Of course I meant, when keeping sea hares, make sure your powerhead intakes are covered.

There was a thread not so long ago about a sea hare getting caught and killed in someone's powerhead intake :frown: That's why I mentioned it.

adidas
12-13-2005, 04:52 PM
should probably cover all intakes anyways, I just lost a cleaner shrimp yesterday, after hooking up my new skimmer (even though I had eggcrate covering the intake), he was sucked in half :(

lesson learned? Use foam.

Chin_Lee
12-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Don't use eggcrates either. I had a sea hare try to squeeze through the 1/2"x1/2" square and he got stuck and couldn't get himself out. I eventually had to intervene and I believe I saved its life. i guess you can use eggcrate if you double them up and interlock the squares. otherwise, use something smaller!

adidas
12-14-2005, 12:50 AM
i guess you can use eggcrate if you double them up and interlock the squares.

thats what i did on my Beckett intake, guess the suction was too powerful for my cleaner shrimp. I now have foam on it.

geopod
12-14-2005, 01:01 AM
I think sea hares take awhile to eat in the tanks.I had mine now for a month and he is still going at the glass and rock.They are so awesome Highly reccomend to anyone.

george