PDA

View Full Version : R/C cars

outtafocus
12-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Any one else here into radio controlled cars?
Im talking about the nitro methane burning 3.0hp 4 wheel drive 9lb racing machines, not the junk from Radio Shack (oh sorry, The Source)

Chad
12-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Any one else here into radio controlled cars?
Im talking about the nitro methane burning 3.0hp 4 wheel drive 9lb racing machines, not the junk from Radio Shack (oh sorry, The Source)

I don't have an RC car, but I do have an RC plane. :D unfortunately I still need to skin it.

Parrothead
12-12-2005, 12:00 AM
I have LOTS of RC planes :-)

All electric for me - no slime

Invigor
12-12-2005, 12:03 AM
3hp?!?!?! HOLY CRAP those things must FLY!

I've got a build it yourself 12v one that does about 25mph..but no gas burners. :D...wow it's 10 years old this year too, I got it when I was 12

adidas
12-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Had a Tmaxx, an RC10GT... sold em last year.... they are extremely fun, but sooooooooo dirty.

Murminator
12-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I have a Team Associated RC10 truck and buggy used to race them 10 years ago and never been run in probably 5 years :sad:

deacon hemp
12-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Ive got to drive a custom nitro rc car,those are soooo fun.They go so fast its hard to turn them without busting a 360!,if you turn just right you can 4 wheel slide them.Fun stuff,pricey hobby though.

adidas
12-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Ive got to drive a custom nitro rc car,those are soooo fun.They go so fast its hard to turn them without busting a 360!,if you turn just right you can 4 wheel slide them.Fun stuff,pricey hobby though.

Not much more expensive as our other hobby... I think fish stuff is even more expensive sometimes.

Chad
12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
I've been slow to get my plane in the air, simply because after all that work I am scared of crashing it into the ground! :) but I plan on having someone experienced take it up and bring it down for me until I learn it properly.

AndyL
12-12-2005, 11:50 PM
For those scared of trashing something expensive, should definitely look into the FFF/EPP/Depron/F3/foamies. The fanfolds harder to find in canada, but we've got access to starboard and convoy building supplies sells a mylar coated version of the 6mm Depron foam.

Translates into <10$ for a plane (without the electronics) and build times under 4-5 hours.

Sure come a long way since 10 years ago when I played last (Although I admit, I was at pm hobbycraft today drooling over all the new and exciting toys)

Andy

outtafocus
12-13-2005, 02:19 AM
I never thought that there were so many people interested in this stuff on here.
I have been racing r/c cars for 9+ years.

If anyone one is in the Red Deer area on March 3,4&5 there is going to be a huge indoor offroad gas race. It is the Canadian Winter Nationals. Many big time american drivers and equipment.

Check out www.clutchnutz.ca for info. Im sure spectators are welcome.

Chad
12-13-2005, 02:28 AM
For those scared of trashing something expensive, should definitely look into the FFF/EPP/Depron/F3/foamies. The fanfolds harder to find in canada, but we've got access to starboard and convoy building supplies sells a mylar coated version of the 6mm Depron foam.

Well, the one I have is a trainer plane, so its suppose to be next to impossible to crash unless you purposely run it into the ground. Either way, I am anxious and excited to get it in the air. Hopefully by the summer.

NanoReef
12-13-2005, 02:48 AM
hey i wouldnt be so quick to judge the "radioshack crap" because i have one that i got from there (an xmod) that is 1:28th scale (very small) that i have going 53km/h!

Dez
12-13-2005, 06:08 AM
I used to race the RC cars. I had a yokomo yz10, and a Losi JRX2...

I remember the days where I moded everything to make everything lighter and change the center of gravity of the car so it would jump better. putting on titanium tie-rods and winding my own motors. I even had a pit tip published in the RC car magazine.

Wow....then I sold all that stuff and got into the reef hobby....

outtafocus
12-14-2005, 12:30 AM
A YZ10, now your going back in time. hheeehheee.

Those Xmods are pretty cool, very tunable. I remember last year at one of the big import cars shows in the us, they held a big Xmod race. The winner got to take home a totally tuned out real supra or lancer or something. The winner was one of the best touring car (a type of r/c car class) drivers in the world. David Jun, I wonder if he mentioned that when he entered.