PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly fish

Ruth
12-11-2005, 01:14 PM
What has people's experience been with butterfly fish in reef tanks? I love these fish but have always been hesitant to put them in my reef. I think my favorites are Tinkers, bannerfish, and pyramid. I know that Emily B has some in her reef with success (other than some zoo skirts if I remember correctly Deb).
So tell me you butterfly stories and if they have eaten your corals what type do they go after? Also clams?

Tarolisol
12-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I have a Copper Banded in my tank with good success only eat aptasia. Most butterflys will eat most soft corals. Its one of those which do you like better things, the fish or some corals.

Ruth
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Well actually I like them both but one of my large tanks is a mixed reef with both softies, LPS and SPS in it but my other one is heading toward just being SPS so if I could find accurate information on which ones that I like that don't eat SPS I could try that route. The trouble is if you google it you get about 10 different opinions on what they will bother. I know that each fish is different just trying to narrow the odds. Of the ones that I have listed above has anyone had success in a SPS tank?