PDA

View Full Version : Reef lighting

rusty
12-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Hello I have spent a couple hours reading and surfing the net this morning about this question, What are the best lights for my tank? the tank is only 10 inches tall, now the problem I have is I know a could two 250 watt halides over it and my sps will grow great, but I am looking for some thing that will produce the same results for cheaper. The thing with the halides is that I don't like how much power they suck back, does anyone know any articles or test done to see if the same wattage of VHO sucks back as much power? Or would I be better off going with T5's and if so how many would I need to be equivilant to 2 250watt halides? The tank is 45L x 20D x10H just looking for your guys opinion

Ruth
12-10-2005, 03:17 PM
There is a link I was trying to find to a guy's tank in one of the Scandinavian countries that only uses T-5's and has some good information on it. His tank is spectacular by the way. Try searching (if you can get in) on RC. I have 6 T-5's as supplimental lighting on my 190 and like them so far - much better than the supplimental PC lighting I have on my 230. With a shallow tank you can probably get away with T5's.

rusty
12-10-2005, 09:49 PM
You say that you have 6 t5's supplimenting does that mean you are also ruuning a halide?

Ruth
12-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Yeah I also run 3 400W MH lights but that is on a 190g SPS tank Rusty. I looked for that thread on RC but couldn't find it again. This guy just ran about 8 T5's on I think a 100g tank and it was one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen. He was from Norway or Sweden I think. On a 20" tank you are probably going to get pretty good penetration with T5's

rusty
12-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Do you think that T5's are better that VHO? Thats what I am torn between.

Ruth
12-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I don't, I like the look of VHO better and you seem to get better coralline growth with VHO. I don't know how they compare as far as par goes though but I am sure that one of the people that know a lot more about that than me will chime in.

rusty
12-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Anyone? I would really like to know what others think.

Ruth
12-11-2005, 02:40 PM
HA I found that thread finally about the guys tank that is lit by only T5's and it is impressive. Further on in the thread he talks about his lighting quite a bit and how he is upgrading it. You may find it useful but it is truly an impressive tank.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=700454&highlight=zeovit

rusty
12-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Unbelievable!!! Ok.......:D

mr_alberta
12-11-2005, 03:28 PM
You need to figure out if the initial cost of investing in a new lighting system will pay itself off in savings from less power consumption and in what period of time.

Since you already have the MH setup, your initial cost would be very low whereas if you were to try T5's, you'd need to buy a ballast (Ice Cap, Triad, or other), standoff, bulbs, reflectors, etc). I'm not saying don't try it (cause it would be cool :p), but you have to sit down and calculate it out to see if you are indeed, actually saving money in the long run.

Also, if you keep reading the thread, he swaps out his bulbs every 8 months...so 8 new bulbs every 8 months...adds up pretty quick since those bulbs are about $40CND each...

Invigor
12-11-2005, 03:35 PM
power consumption would need to be considered too. 8 54w t5s would be about 4 amps, 2 250w MH are about 6amps. so lets say 10 hours a day for 30 days. 8 t5s would cost you about $15. MH would be about $21 (at 11cents per KWh)

considering t5s are about $25 each, that's $200 for 8 bulbs, in comparison, $200 will buy a very nice pair of MH lamps.

so in the end, it'll cost about $60 a year more for MH.

hmm...makes me want to reconsider t5s :D

rusty
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
"Since you already have the MH setup" Quote newguy
Actually Harvey this is for the two new tanks I made this weekend:D Kind of what I am reading here and elsewhere It reallly depends on what you want your tank to look like The cost difference is not that huge. Hmmmm more reading needed, Keep the comments coming :D Another quick question than any studies done on what will grow corals faster T5, VHO, or Halides... Articals or links please.

mr_alberta
12-11-2005, 06:03 PM
If you want growth, you can't go wrong with Iwasaki 6500K bulbs...

rusty
12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Sweet that you get that sweet yellow glow!

addam4208283
12-12-2005, 12:43 AM
i was just wondering what is stopping you guys from modifying a MH light from say lowes used for a spot light into a tank light? wouldn't this be way cheaper then ordering a $2-$300 set up?

rusty
12-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Well some people do go out and buy the MH fixtures from th LFS. For my self I DIY all my lighting I find it a bit cheaper and I have the tools to do it. And I find it part of the fun.

Invigor
12-12-2005, 02:36 AM
I cannot tell you about t5s, but I do know with URI VHO lamps, I have -never- seen the color reproduction as nice as these. I have used the 10000k aquasun and the 12000k actinic white...and the colors from my fish...I cannot describe it the first time I turned on the VHOs. beyond amazing. downside with VHOs is high power consumption and very hot lamp ends, which is hard on the plastic endcaps.

both my actinic bulbs have now burned out, and I plan on replacing them with T5 actinic bulbs, not because I don't like VHOs, but because I want the liberty of saying I've tried both. I enjoy learning the pros and cons of all lighting setups, and T5 is what's next. I've done PC, MH, VHO, NO, it's time for t5s.

Croman
01-10-2006, 03:18 AM
I cannot tell you about t5s, but I do know with URI VHO lamps, I have -never- seen the color reproduction as nice as these. I have used the 10000k aquasun and the 12000k actinic white...and the colors from my fish...I cannot describe it the first time I turned on the VHOs. beyond amazing. downside with VHOs is high power consumption and very hot lamp ends, which is hard on the plastic endcaps.

both my actinic bulbs have now burned out, and I plan on replacing them with T5 actinic bulbs, not because I don't like VHOs, but because I want the liberty of saying I've tried both. I enjoy learning the pros and cons of all lighting setups, and T5 is what's next. I've done PC, MH, VHO, NO, it's time for t5s.

Do you have pics of your tank?

smokinreefer
01-10-2006, 05:30 AM
have you considered dual 150W MH?