PDA

View Full Version : 20 gal started

JasonJ
12-10-2005, 08:15 AM
well i just got about 30lbs LS in about few hours ago
already seeing little red worms and a couple of snails.
my question is. should i let the powerhead run or should i turn it off coz my water is still cloudly. maybe the circulation is stopping the sand from settling down in the bottom?

next step is getting the light. goin with 24" 130watts coralife PC.
then about 25 - 30lbs of LR. question about LR. should i get the light first or can LR live without the light.

robzilla
12-10-2005, 04:21 PM
imo, i'd let the powerheads run, it take awhile but all will settle. if you shut them off the sand will settle, but when you turn them on again, it will create the dust storm again.

christyf5
12-10-2005, 06:27 PM
next step is getting the light. goin with 24" 130watts coralife PC.
then about 25 - 30lbs of LR. question about LR. should i get the light first or can LR live without the light.

Definitely leave the powerheads on. The fines will settle soon enough. Since your sandbed is live, it uses up quite a bit of oxygen and the powerheads will provide the needed circulation.

Live rock can live without light but alot of the "bonus" critters that come with it will require light such as coralline algae or any other types of algae or growth on the rock. If you do get the live rock first, be sure that you are getting lighting fairly quickly afterwards or you will find alot of your coralline algae growth will diminish and its color will fade.

Christy :)

JasonJ
12-13-2005, 04:09 AM
well i decided to get the LR(30lbs) and light(24"130watts coralife PC) the same day. now everything is coming along.
so now when no ammonia is detected. i wanna add a clean up crew.
for a 20 gal. i was considering:

12 - blue leg hermits
3 - red scarlet hermits
5 - astrea snails
5 - margarita snails
1 - strawberry conch

too much? more to add?

heres a pic taken today(2nd day after LR and light set put in)
sorry about the quality. it was taken with my cell phone :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid196/p894b7dabc4601e137bc278fdaf0b262c/f1143c82.jpg

JasonJ
12-13-2005, 04:12 AM
oh the dark part of the LR is covered with coraline algae!