PDA

View Full Version : eels, triggers and dwarf lions with coral

Jon
12-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Does anyone know if a snowflake eel, huma huma trigger and dwarf lion would be okay with corals.

WWWD
12-08-2005, 08:40 PM
triggers eat coral as part of their diet. plus the messiness of their diet for these fish would make for fairly polluted water for a reef setup.

monza
12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
You could put a Snowflake with a reef, messy for sure but he would knock every thing down all the time. I know I tried. They get big and very strong, like a crow bar forcing their way through the rock work. Oh and he'll eat your fish unless they are big.

Dave

JSTR
12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
- I would say to the triggers - the will eat corals.
- A snowflake eel is fine with corals - but would make short work of
any cleanup crew you out in with it - their main diet is crustaceans.
- Dwarf lions would be OK aswell - they will eat all shrimps and small fish
in the tank. And depending on which species you get, may hid most of
the time - due to the bright lights required for corals.

Also as already mentioned all of these are waste factories - so excellent filtration will be a must. The eels and lions are dusk and dawn creatures that hid during the daylight hours, so they wont be out much under reef lighting setups.

Other than that, they can and have been put in reef setups, just need to plan accordingly. Personally I have my dwarfs in a 55gallon FOWLR setup and have 15watts on lights so the tank is always on the dim side, they are out most of the time.

HTH

Tarolisol
12-08-2005, 10:35 PM
If you really want a triger look for blue cheek or crosshatch ones, they are reletivly reef safe.

WWWD
12-08-2005, 10:39 PM
If you really want a triger look for blue cheek or crosshatch ones, they are reletivly reef safe.

damn i would love a crosshatch trigger.

Johnny Reefer
12-09-2005, 02:04 AM

Ya, no doubt. Beautiful fish.

Cheers,

rickjames
12-09-2005, 02:08 AM
My niger trigger has never touched my coral, clams, or anemone. Being almost 8 months, knock on wood. :lol:

The general consensus is the more upturned there mouth is the more likely they will feed primarily on zooplankton on in the water column and ignore coral/inverts on the rock. So crosshatch, sargussum, bluethroat, and also niger seem to be pretty good bets.

rickjames
12-09-2005, 02:09 AM

Ya, no doubt. Beautiful fish.

Cheers,

J&L had one and it sold before I even had a look at it! :frown: