PDA

View Full Version : Pump style & Size

Maverick
12-08-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm in the process of setting up my sump in the basement and keeping my tank on the main floor .

Can anyone make some suggestions on size and type. 75g main tank and probably the same size sump.

Brent

BMW Rider
12-08-2005, 02:03 AM
You'd be best to choose a pump that is pressure rated since you will have significant head pressure to pump the water upstairs. That would most likely mean you'll need to choose an external pump. There are not too many submersible pumps that are pressure rated. You could choose to just use an oversized pump and sacrifice some of its volume capcity for pressure, but that would be less energy efficient, will produce more heat and more noise. Ideally for a 75 gallon tank, you'll want to have around 250 - 300 gph through the sump.

Maverick
12-08-2005, 02:16 AM
How do you know if a pump is pressure rated ?

I can't see any reference at J & L.

Brent

BMW Rider
12-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Its usually a bit criptic in the pumps model designation. If you search through all the pumps, there is usually a pressure series and a non pressure rated series in a given brand. For example the Iwaki RLT series pumps are pressure rated, the RLXT pumps are not.

Any pump will handle the pressure up to a point, beyond wich its efficiency will drop significantly. Pressure rated pumps are just designed to do it more efficiently. If you look at the pumps performance curve, you will see what its flow will be for a given head pressure. If you start by figuring oput your plumbing and from that you approximate head pressure, then you can choose a pump that meets your needs. There are a few good headloss calculators on various internet reef sites. Reef central has a good one, I know I have seen others too but can't list them off the top of my head.

mark
12-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Here's a link that shows pumps an their max head. Lots have links that show pump curves.

Seems the Iwaki's rate high for quality and reliability.

http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/[/url]