PDA

View Full Version : Water for Curing Rock

prospero31
12-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi - I am in the process of setting up my tank and have a question regarding the use of water for curing live rock. Does it really matter if it is RO/DI water in the curing process or can you use normal old tap water (I know it has to be a salt mix). I certainly would not go forward using tap water, but that question is rather prescient at the moment. Thanks

OCDP
12-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Obviously RO/DI water is the preferred choice... but I know of lots of people using tap water with very successful reefs. I use it myself. I think if you use tap water, use a good conditioner like PRIME .. I notice good results as well as others.

If you can get RO/DI .. then I would go that route. If tap water is all that's available... then tap water it is. That's just my opinion though...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-07-2005, 06:42 PM
What I've done & also done for several friends with uncured live rock is to save my change water & use that to cure the LR instead of mixing & tossing out new water. If you were closer or if you come into the Burnaby area in the next week or so, I can do a big water change & save you the water. Or you can also get it from someone closer.

However, I've known lots of people who cured it with just conditioned tapwater too.

Anthony

prospero31
12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
No worries on the RO/DI - that system is gtg - was just curious about if it mattered or not seeing as you are basically getting rid of dead stuff....but since it is a slooowww drip, was wondering if tap water was a viable short cut. Err Vancouver tap water, since it appears Calgarians are more comfortable with their tap water than us treehuggers in Vancouver

prospero31
12-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I have gone ahead and am creating a reservoir of RO/DI water in a large plastic container in which I will drop the live rock for curing when I get it.

Currently (no pun intended) when I stick my hand in the water, I get zapped with a small jolt of electricity. How is that possible? The DI portion of my plumbing (hey all the plumbing was actually fun) drops through the ceiling from my kitchen after a T connection (other end goes to drinking water). I read about grounding etc.. but I was more concerned with that in regards to my tank rather than the precursor curing stage - should I be grounding the curing "vat"?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-13-2005, 06:10 AM
This reservoir is at regular salinity right? Not just RO/DI freshwater?

Griffin
12-15-2005, 04:09 PM
A small zap everytime?? I would shut off everything in your "vat" and stick you hand in to see if it still happens - then turn on each piece of equipment (heater, powerhead, light) one at a time and see when you get a zap - I have one light that can give me good zap when there is to much salt creep on it adn of course this causes a trail to the water and bammm. Kinda a good lesson that makes sure you keeps things clean == and replace/repair any faulty equipment.

Cheers
Rich