PDA

View Full Version : how much fresh water....

StirCrazy
12-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Can you fit in a 45 gal tank?

well seams to be a bad season for me and my tanks, I had the 45 gal tank set up in the garage to cure new rock for my tank and last night I decided it was down a couple inches so I needed to add some water. I turned on the RO ... and did you know they don't shut off by themselves? who forgot to invent that feature in anyways?? :rolleyes: anyhow by my calculation I added 91 gal of salt water to the tank while I slept only to find that when I went to get dressed up for the motor bike ride to work my feet were sloshing in 1/2" of water :rolleyes: . soooooooo I checked the salinity and just my luck it read 1.000 so I added a bunch of salt before I went to work and that made it 1.013 and added more when I got home, took it up to 1.019. I just added some more so that should get it up to about 1.024 then I can fine tune it tomorrow.

My question is how long can rock handle fresh water before the pods/worms all die? I am not worried about the bacteria as there will be plenty of that deep in the rock that will survive.

I tell you not my two months.

Steve

reeferaddict
12-07-2005, 05:10 AM
Steve.... I think there's a section in the lounge for posts like these... :mrgreen:

I just had to get that shot in at an experienced guy like you... & hope that my finding humour at someone else's expense doesn't result in my own misfortune... :razz:

As for the question... I don't have a clue!

Delphinus
12-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Let's face it, 1.000 isn't going to be great for pods and worms. But I did a similar thing some 5-6 years ago now (had a hose dumping FW into my reef overnight while I slept blissfully through it all). Apart from the mess it made and a few casualties, most things recovered in time -- worms and pods included.

I know how you feel ... believe me. Been there done that!!! Sorry to hear it. At least it wasn't in your living room where you found that 1/2" water, yeah that's a rather unpleasant memory.

StirCrazy
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
At least it wasn't in your living room where you found that 1/2" water, yeah that's a rather unpleasant memory.

ya thats true as I would probably be forced to take it down if it was, hehe.

you know on hind site if I only had a 24gpd RO, instead of a 320 gpd one I would have been fine :eek:

Steve

mark
12-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Though luckily never added that much fresh, have spiked it a bit and had wondering tolerance I have for future mistakes.

http://garf.org/ has a calculator that shows change in salinity depending how much FW added or evaporated (not sure how to link directly to calculator).