PDA

View Full Version : Acro in trouble

Snappy
12-06-2005, 04:20 AM
I have a piece of acro that I have had for about 3 months and was growing and colouring up quite nicely, a sort of maroon/bluish/dark purplish. Anyway it started to all of a sudden bleach at the bottom and I had a little section die off and turn white. Bummer but not that big a deal. However, yesterday about half the piece faded to a light green colour and it seems to be spreading. Is it sick? (obviously) How can I save it? Should I frag the remaining healthy parts and start over or wait it out?
All other acros and sps in the tank are fine,(I have about 50 pieces of sps) and it was just this one piece. Was it just it's time or can it come back? Here is a picture of the piece.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1481sick_sps1.jpg

muck
12-06-2005, 04:29 AM
Greg,

That green almost looks like the pic that Catherine posted of what happened to her acro colony. There is a picture on page 2.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21274&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Id frag that baby and cut your loses.
It will grow out again in time. No sense risking losing the whole colony..

Snappy
12-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Greg,

That green almost looks like the pic that Catherine posted of what happened to her acro colony. There is a picture on page 2.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21274&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Id frag that baby and cut your loses.
It will grow out again in time. No sense risking losing the whole colony..
She is right when she says it happens fast. That all happened in a day.
I will cut the frags tonight...........Thanks.

Snappy
12-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Well I cut it into pieces and I think I caught it in time. Not much left but I still have a little of it. Most of the inner skeleton was green and sort of soft all the way through. I think it might have got too hot in the spot I had recently moved it to as there is a heater several inches below. Not sure but that is my best guess for now.

Delphinus
12-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Glad you fragged it already, that's what I would have suggested as well. Looks like RTN and I myself have never been able to halt RTN once it starts -- the flesh just continues to peel -- the only hope is to frag and hope that some of the frags will survive. At least that's been my experience with it.

Good luck.

muck
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Lets hope the surviving frags make a good recovery.. :cool:

christyf5
12-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Green inside the skeleton means its a bacterial infection, I believe. I can't remember where I read that though. I don't know if a coral dip would help or hinder at this point.

Christy :)

adidas
12-06-2005, 06:08 PM
same thing happened to my acro colony, started turning a pale green, next day flesh was comin off and it bleached.

michika
12-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Christy, any idea on where you may have read that about a bacterial infection?

What kind of bateria and how does it affect the acro?

I hate to say it Snappy, but that picture that Ryan posted of my little colony didn't make it. I fragged what I could, but nothing survived. The frags started to exhibit the same behavior the peeling skin, but it happened about 3 or 4 hours after I fragged it.

I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping real hard!

christyf5
12-06-2005, 08:21 PM

I'm currently doing a search to figure out where I saw it. It was on one of the american reef boards. I don't think the type of bacteria was mentioned but just that it caused the skeleton to go green as the coral was dying.

I'll keep looking! :biggrin:

michika
12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Thank you!

Snappy
12-07-2005, 03:22 AM

I hate to say it Snappy, but that picture that Ryan posted of my little colony didn't make it. I fragged what I could, but nothing survived. The frags started to exhibit the same behavior the peeling skin, but it happened about 3 or 4 hours after I fragged it.

I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping real hard!
When I cut the pieces I made sure I cut into healthy coral and well above the infected area. They all looked good today so I hope they are ok. So far so good, but time will tell.

michika
12-07-2005, 03:25 AM
I really hope they hold out for you!

Snappy
12-07-2005, 03:29 AM
thanks

christyf5
12-07-2005, 03:35 AM
Dang I can't find it. I must have dreamed it up somewhere. Sorry.

I hope your frags make it. :biggrin:

mr_alberta
12-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Is this the thread you are looking for?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=713483&highlight=green+and+skeleton

christyf5
12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
yes!!!!!!!!! :cool: (stupid reefcentral and their premium membership search function :confused: )

adidas
12-07-2005, 06:21 PM
When I cut the pieces I made sure I cut into healthy coral and well above the infected area. They all looked good today so I hope they are ok. So far so good, but time will tell.

sounds like u saved some frags.. man do I wish I fragged my colony when that was happening to me :frown:

Snappy
12-08-2005, 01:46 AM

sounds like u saved some frags.. man do I wish I fragged my colony when that was happening to me :frown:
They are still ok :cool: