PDA

View Full Version : Yikes!

ruck'n'reefer
02-04-2002, 12:43 AM
I've tried everything!! How do I get a cleaner wrasse?

[ 03 February 2002: Message edited by: Ruck'n'reefer ]</p>

Acro
02-04-2002, 01:05 AM
Rob,
Was there a reason you would like a cleaner wrasse? I've heard there hard to keep.

ruck'n'reefer
02-04-2002, 01:22 AM
Everytime I look I feel that I need a cleaner wrasse!
I've been told with meticulous (sp?) maintainence you can keep one.

DJ88
02-04-2002, 02:45 AM
Rob,

The reason that they are difficult to keep and not desireable in a reef tank are twofold.

One. Their main food source is critters they pick off other fish. They are dificult to get to eat prepared food. They basically starve to death in a tank as there are not hundreds of fish waiting to be cleaned.

Two. An even bigger reason. They serve a very important position in the ecology of a reef in the wild. They clean parasites off of fish. They do this constantly. Take away the fish, who cleans the parasites preventing infections and disease on the reef? No one.

One simple words of advice about buying these guys.

Don't.

Keep your tank clean and as stress free as possible. To do this, (not saying you have) Don't over stock or put fish in the tank that shouldn't be in there.

SuperFudge
02-04-2002, 07:42 AM
Rotflmao!

Im just really glad you posted it in the DIY forum,Because it is a job that you really should do yourself! LOL

Toooo much you guys.

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: Fudge ]

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: Fudge ]</p>

ruck'n'reefer
02-04-2002, 08:38 PM
I was talking to a girl at the LFS. She suggested alternatives to a cleaner wrasse.
To make a long story short I was persuaded and I got 2 licker wrasse instead. images/smiles/icon_cool.gif images/smiles/icon_wink.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

One_Divided
02-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Heeheh. A DIY cleaner wrasse would be a net and a copper treatment. ewww I'd never do it..

Darren has pretty well summed it up.. Good luck with those other wrasses.. (whatever they are) (sarcasm) images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: One_Divided ]</p>

Silverfish
02-04-2002, 09:55 PM
Say Rob, I was just wondering how it made you feel when the licker wrasse offer was made? Did you hesitate or just go for it? images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SuperFudge
02-04-2002, 10:12 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by One_Divided:

Good luck with those other wrasses..<hr></blockquote>

Just how many other wrasses do you have Rob?

Hint....an ancient derivitive of a language unknown in origin... cleeen/errr/aasss...

Eeeeewwwwwwww,i can feel Darrens Boot...."right into the lounge with you lil terds"! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

[ 04 February 2002: Message edited by: Fudge ]</p>

DJ88
02-04-2002, 10:19 PM
You got that right.. lol..

ruck'n'reefer
02-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Only one Marc!!!!
How did you get the name fudge anyway!! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

terryp01
02-04-2002, 11:57 PM
I would suggest a neon goby. These are inexpensive and doe the same job as the cleaner wrasse. The difference is that they live and will eat prepared foods (flake, brine shrimp, etc.).

They will also live in groups. They will take up residence in your tank and the fish will stop by for a cleaning session.

Ask your local fish store if they carry them. If they do not, refer them to Ocean Reefs and Aquarium (ORA) out of Florida. They tank raise them and have hybrids as well.

Duss.

smokinreefer
02-05-2002, 12:48 AM
rotflmao!!!
if she needs a cleaner wrasse...i wouldnt dare try 2 licker wrasse!!

christyf5
02-05-2002, 12:59 AM
eeeew! http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/suspic.gif

DJ88
02-05-2002, 12:34 PM
Terry,

I dont know if it was you who moved this back to the main forum but I think it stopped being a sane thread a long time ago. If it ever was. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Heck who would post a thread about a cleaner wrasee in the DIY?

Troy F
02-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Darren, I'm the guilty party. I thought you and Terry gave some good information on the keeping of Labroides spp.. The rest was just icing on the cake (no pun intended).