PDA

View Full Version : vancouver area fish/inverts

i have crabs
12-06-2005, 02:20 AM
just wondering if anyone has or would want to set up a tank with things from around your coast,of if thier is even enough cool stuff that you could catch, thier has to be some thing you could keep at home

Diana
12-06-2005, 03:33 AM
I did.... but I didnt run it for long. I needed a much bigger tank (it was only 30 gallons) to do what I wanted... and run a chiller on it.

I had just tidepool stuff which was neat, I had little anenomes and crabs and a little purple starfish.

I shut it down at the end of summer though....

I think I might try it again next summer and possibly add a chiller if i can afford it.

:)
-Diana

i have crabs
12-07-2005, 12:40 AM
never thought about needing a chiller, did you just go and catch everything yourself?

Raf
12-20-2005, 05:19 PM
yes, we collected around the local beaches(had license BTW). The first to do poorly were the macroalage/seaweed...everything else seemed to do just fine....until the tank was overloaded with barnacles we placed in there.

Either way, we found the temperature being at room temp was not cold enough to succesfully keep many of the creatures native to our waters, even with tidepool creatures, they too are used to some cold water influx....so that may also play a part.

:)

fishface
12-20-2005, 05:37 PM
curious about waterchanges, either Diana or Raf...did you use sea water or mix marine salt to the same SG as our local ocean??

Raf
12-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally we collected native seawater....then for waterchanges we mixed our own to the same SG as the native water.

Ruth
12-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Steve Weast has one in Portland Oregon that is pretty cool. Here is a link to his thread on RC that might be useful if anyone is thinking of trying it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=722059

Raf
12-24-2005, 05:02 PM
a gorgeous tank and as you see he has the two most important components in a cool water tank: a chiller and a thick walled plexi tank so you can see through the glass.

Stab_Master_Arson
01-28-2006, 09:09 PM
This seems like a very interesting idea. The temp is an issue and I live in pitt meadows and am too lazy to drive westward to pick up sea water for water changes. If I lived on the golf islands, I would build a pump and pump the water directly in...if I had water front property I mean.:wink: