PDA

View Full Version : New Tank setup.... suggestions?

spikehs
12-05-2005, 04:56 AM
Hey all,

I haven't had a reef for a while (around 8 months now). Now that I am done school, and have a job, i figure its time to set up a new tank. I would love to get some suggestions and comments as to what i have proposed.

Tank: 48w x 24h x 32d (~160gal) - Starphire front/sides
- External overflow(s) I want to have 2 to minimize the risk of floods, is this overkill? what size holes do you think would be good to get?

Lighting:
Dual 400w, quad vho canopy
http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_info.asp?dbid=252

Calcium additions:
- I am going to put a kalk reactor right away, then add on a calcium reactor when/if needed

Protien Skimmer:
Not sure on make/model, but this will be added around 6months down the line (or sooner as funds permit!)

Flow:
2 x Rio Seio M1500 Pump 1500gph
~800gph return pump... this is a big question for me, whats a good amount of flow to have going through the sump (Assuming it will be around 50-75gal). I should have about 20x turnover total...

I am still toying with the dimensions... what is the longest do you think I could stretch the length of the tank and still have good coverage? I won't be having lots of coral on the sides, I just want to have an even looking coverage... thanks!

albert_dao
12-05-2005, 05:49 AM
This sounds like it's going to be an expensive set up. A couple suggestions though:

1. Ditch the VHO. Go with Metal Halide. It's the best lighting on the market right now and on par with VHO when you account for long term costs.

2. Look at this thread before you design your sump and select your skimmer. It could save you lots of $$$:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=641513&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

That's right, build a skimmer right into the sump, for under $50!

3. Ditch the SEIO's. Go with a closed loop. Reeflo/Sequence pumps come of high recommendation from just about everyone who uses them.

4. Consider barebottom... it is 1337. Yes, you read right, 1337. Not good, 1337.

That's all I can think of for now.

mr_alberta
12-05-2005, 03:00 PM
By external overflows, do you mean HOB overflows or ones actually cut into the glass?

The dimensions are great. Not too high so its easy to work in and light and wide enough so you can do some very fancy and stable aquascaping.

Also, if possible, rough in a spot so that you can have a drain fed protein skimmer. The performance on drain fed protein skimmers with recircuation pumps is insane.