PDA

View Full Version : New tank...

untamed
12-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Where would you go to get a 72"W x 48"L x 24"D acrylic tank in greater Vancouver? I imagine that it would need to be custom built...

I could be convinced into a 72"W x 36"L x 24"D...and I'm flexible on the 24"D part.

I say that in case anyone knows of a suitable tank that is close to the dimensions I'm looking for.

untamed
12-11-2005, 11:15 PM
... I'll get you started...So far, I can't even locate a acrylic tank manufacturer in Canada. I've found Tenecor and a place in Vegas...

props
12-11-2005, 11:40 PM
try surrey plastics or industrial plastics. for sure they can build that tank for you

hockey nut
12-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Custom plastics in langley as well. They have actually built tanks for marine aquariums.

untamed
12-13-2005, 04:11 AM
Thank you both! Research continues...

untamed
12-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Anyone we know on this forum that has had a tank built by any of these companies? It sure would be nice to hear some first hand experience.

Mike Olson
12-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Wendel/James at Ocean Aquatics build tanks and sumps...you should give them a call....If they cannot build you what you want, they are great guys who Im sure wuold lead you in the right direction.

psuedo
12-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Call Jeff at J&L aquatics. He is the man to talk to, and he can hook you up with any size you need and he can always get you a few different quotes

untamed
12-15-2005, 01:31 AM
I'll do that. I was hoping that I might be able to avoid a retail upcharge by finding a manufacturer directly. The first quote I've received is more than I expected. (not so much that I'm going to stop the project...just more than I expected)

hockey nut
12-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Like I mentioned before.

Call Peter Brear at Custom plastics in Langley. They have built custom tanks before. I hope you do realize going custom usually costs more. Good luck.

Willow
12-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Call Jeff at J&L aquatics. He is the man to talk to, and he can hook you up with any size you need and he can always get you a few different quotes

im not sure how jeff could help you out, j&l doen't do any custom tank work and i know for a fact that his own tank was a modded seastar tank.

untamed
12-16-2005, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the help. It would seem that both JL and OA source tanks like this from the US (likely Vegas, and possibly the same supplier). While I have quotes from the manufacturer directly, both OA and JL have the chance to quote on more complete packages including a lot of stuff needed in addition to the tank.

I spoke today with Wendel at OA, and he was very helpful.

Locally, it appears that Custom Plastics may be much higher cost than the other companies...but shipping has yet to be considered.

Hopefully, the next lower mainland tank tour will be sometime in April/May. I can have the group come through to examine the plans and provide some valuable insight and ideas....and you could see my teeny, tiny 30gal...

untamed
01-09-2006, 05:44 AM
I've concluded that the tank will be built by Envision, in Oregon. I may make a weekend trip of it and go pick it up personally. (saves shipping and I hear the Oregon coast is a pretty trip)

Do you think they would notice if I tried to sneak it across the border? (I'm kidding...don't turn me in!)

Willow
01-09-2006, 05:49 AM
I've concluded that the tank will be built by Envision, in Oregon. I may make a weekend trip of it and go pick it up personally. (saves shipping and I hear the Oregon coast is a pretty trip)

Do you think they would notice if I tried to sneak it across the border? (I'm kidding...don't turn me in!)

you wont pay duty on it anyway as it's made in the states, i think you will just pay gst.

untamed
01-10-2006, 01:09 AM
No duty...that's good. Gives me more money to spend on pumps..and plumbing...and lights...and...oh man...

Willow
01-10-2006, 01:12 AM
make sure you bring proof that it's "made in the usa" when you come back so they dont hit you with the duty.