PDA

View Full Version : vacation

jennytheleopardgrouper
12-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi all, I'm planning a week vacation and I was wondering what everyone else does to feed while they're away. I think I can get someone in to feed and top up the tank one time while I'm gone, but is there some kind of weekend feeder for saltwater like there is for freshwater tanks? And if there is, is it recommended? I'm thinking-as the trip isn't that long, that a large chunk of nori tied to a rock and a good feeding prior to leaving should be enough to sustain my relatively small population. Any thoughts? [/i]

Pegasus
12-03-2005, 11:50 PM
I don't know what you have in your tank but I usually try to find someone who can drop by daily. If you have snails in your tank they will eat the nori in no time flat. If you have crabs or shrimps, the nori won't do them any good. I find that using flake food promotes the growth of hair algae and I refraine from using either. If you are not concerned about hair algae then there is no reason why you can't use the automatic feeders.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Tarolisol
12-04-2005, 05:40 AM
I may be an exeption but i havent feed my fish or tank for months. And all my fish are fat and healthy. they should be able to go a week im sure theres lots of food in the tank for them.

Aquattro
12-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm thinking-as the trip isn't that long, that a large chunk of nori tied to a rock and a good feeding prior to leaving should be enough to sustain my relatively small population. Any thoughts? [/i]

If you're going for 5 days, that would probably be fine, unless youhave something that really needs to eat daily (like Anthius). If you can get someone to stop in in the middle of the week for one feeding, all the better.