PDA

View Full Version : sea-hare diet

fresh
12-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi all,

My tank had a LOT of hair algea growing in it, so I went and bought a sea-hare 2/3 weeks ago. He CLEANED the tank in 1 week.

Now that my tank is "spotless" and it looks beautiful, I am worried that the seahare will starve to death like most people say.

I only have 10 astrea snails in with him in a 72 gal tank. Will the algea growing on the rocks and glass on a daily basis keep him happy or should I look into feeding him something else. Another option obviously is to sell him. I could also remove the snails to allow for more food for the seahare.

I really like the fellow and me and him have been through a lot in the past couple of weeks (including him getting sucked into my ph and me rescuing him and then creating gards for all my ph's) :lol: another time when my anamone tried to eat him and I rescued him "again" :mrgreen:

Anyhow, please let me know what is the best thing to do. I would like to keep him because I like him, but if it means his death, then obviously I don't mind selling him to somebody who can take care of him.

Thanks all.
fresh.

OCDP
12-02-2005, 06:11 PM
I'll take him off your hands :mrgreen: haha just kidding... I do need one though.

I have heard of people feeding them seaweed or nori tied to a rock. I used to feed mine some flake food by hand, he liked that as well.... just suggestions for you. Sea hares really are cool, and great for algaes. I really do need another!

WWWD
12-02-2005, 07:04 PM
wrap a chunk of nori onto a rock and lower it down into the tank each night and he will eat that. "mr snotty (tm)" now eats cheato hockey_nut tells me. another option is lending him out to people you trust who have algae outbreaks.

fresh
12-02-2005, 07:33 PM
the problem w/ the nori idea is that I have a tang that will probably finish the nori seaweed before the seahare even find out there was nori in the tank :biggrin:

What should I do in that case?

WWWD
12-02-2005, 07:52 PM
just drop the nori rock in after lights out and the tang will be in bed.

BMW Rider
12-02-2005, 07:58 PM
You could always try to increase your phoshates and nitrates to help the HA regrow faster :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I'm facing the same dilema with my HA problem so I'm tagging along with this thread. I have a yellow tang and a foxface that are supposed to eat the HA. Neither is very much interested in anything but Nori :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so I suppose they would end up devouring the seahares intended dinner too.

Reefhawk1
12-03-2005, 06:10 PM
I have seen fellow reefers use pleco algae chips. I haven't tried them with my Sea Hare yet but I will have to give it a try :cool:

rusty
12-03-2005, 11:36 PM
You could always try to increase your phoshates and nitrates to help the HA regrow faster

Ok now that is funny :lol: :lol: