PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Zoo's 24/7?

WWWD
12-02-2005, 06:37 AM
i have a wack of zoos that i would like to grow in my fuge that is lite 24/7. im wondering what the effects of growing them with the lights permantly on is. im guessing there must be some offest for never letting them sleep is.

christyf5
12-02-2005, 03:47 PM
they get cranky and start growing in the shape of the middle finger :razz:

Pegasus
12-04-2005, 12:23 AM
I have never heard of anyone trying it. They house zooanthellae algae and I would think that it would need down time. If you decide to try it let us know how it works out.

Larry

StirCrazy
12-04-2005, 03:38 PM
I have never heard of anyone trying it. They house zooanthellae algae and I would think that it would need down time. If you decide to try it let us know how it works out.

Larry

its not the Algae that needs down time it is the coral that needs the down time of no sugar production from the algae. I will not say 100% but I feel confident in saying that at a 100% lighting cycle eventualy your corals will start to suffer.

Steve

Ruth
12-04-2005, 05:14 PM
It's not something that I would do on purpose but I do have some hitch hiker zoos (ugly brown ones of course) that came in on my live rock that are in my fuge which is lit 24/7. They seem to be just fine and growing slowly. Maybe that is a hint - the slowly part- cause the brown ones usually grow fast for me.

scuglass
12-04-2005, 06:25 PM
i heard something about a person on rc just using actinics 24/7 for zoos and they did well. althought i didnt follow up or read into nay detail