PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf lion reef safe?

Jon
12-02-2005, 05:11 AM
What are my chances of success if I were to add a drawf lion fish to my 36 gallon reef. I've heard the drawf lions are okay with other small fish.

Current inhabitants:
Corals - softies, mushrooms, open brain, frogspawn, zoos.
Fish - 2 perc clowns, 2 green chromis, 1 fire fish, 1 six line wrasse
many snail, fighting conch and 2 cleaner shrimp
also about 50lbs live rock, remora protein skimmer.

I would take the 2 chromis out to try and balance the bio load of a lion fish.

If anyone has had any experience with this let me know, or if you just want to through out suggestions that'd be great too, I'm fairly new at this hobby.

thanks, Jon

Kabong
12-02-2005, 09:20 AM
It will eat any fish or shrimp that can fit in its mouth, and they got big mouths. Basically if it isnt bigger then the lionfish its food.

IslandReefer
12-02-2005, 10:19 AM
They don't bother corals but as Tim said, if it can go in, they will eat it....as for aggression...thats why you feed with a stick :smile:

danny zubot
12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
When I had my Zebra (dwarf) lion it was fine. It was about 4.5 to 5 inches and didn't touch my cleaner shrimp who were 1.5 inches. I also had percs, and other small fish. I think the trick is getting it to feed on mysis or silversides before adding it to the tank, then it will be content to eat only that. I say go for it.

beaker020
12-03-2005, 04:45 PM
The other thing to consider with lionfish in a reef tank is that they are copious waste producers. They eat a lot, all at once and they poop a lot, all at once which can overload your bio-filter. This can cause ammonia/nitrite/nitrate swings algae blooms and inhabitant stress. A overkill protein skimmer will help alleviate this.