PDA

View Full Version : Nutriants

NanoReef
12-02-2005, 03:26 AM
i have been told that i have "nutriant rich water" because i have a bit of the thick black alge. how can i get rid of this problem and keep my tank not so nutriant rich??!! my tank is a 20 gallon.

OCDP
12-02-2005, 04:04 AM
Use RO/DI water, feed less and in smaller amounts. Setup a refugium for nutrient export stuffed with macro algaes.... the black algae your mentioning sounds like dinoflagelettes? (sp???) nasty stuff from what I have heard.

Those are just a couple suggestions

AndyL
12-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Lets add 2 things to what OCDP said:

More (and larger) water changes... More skimming.

NanoReef
12-02-2005, 01:13 PM
my tank is 100% RO/DI water..... i change about 10-15% weekly. how often SHOULD i be doing it?

i have crabs
12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
20g tank + $250 wourth of fish = nutrient problem

67g tank = pricless

NanoReef
12-02-2005, 01:40 PM
i only have 4 fish...im getting a 90 soon. 67 is too small!!!

OCDP
12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about the skimming... that will definitely help you out.

If your using true, pure RO/DI water you really shouldn't be experiencing such nutrient problems. You either feed too much, too often... have too high of a bioload for you to handle... or there is something feeding the nutrients... ie, phosphates and nitrates. But if you do use RO/DI and do weekly changes.. that should be sufficient.

I would get a skimmer (a good one..) and skim really wet for a while... feed less, (every second or third day) in very small amounts.

I use a 20g tank, and have had slight nutrient issues... but with heavy skimming, frequent water changes and small feedings my tank looks just fine without nuisance algaes.

AndyL
12-03-2005, 12:32 AM
i only have 4 fish...im getting a 90 soon. 67 is too small!!!

Four fish doesn't mean much - Four lions, vs four gobies are two radically different bioloads.

Not all RO is the same, check TDS readings of that water.

You should really have a skimmer, 4 of any kind of fish in a 20g is quite a bioload. A substantial hunk of graciliara, or chaeto would really help you on your way.

Johnny Reefer
12-03-2005, 02:29 AM
10-15% water changes weekly ought to be adequate, but...
...alot of absent info here.

What do your water quality tests say?
How old is this set up?
A bit of black algae? How much is a bit?
What kind of algae? Have you tried to ID it? Take a picture and post?
Four fish? What type? How big?
What else have you got in the tank? Inverts? Corals? Live Rock? (more than just fish contribute to a bio-load).
Are you skimming?

Cheers,

NanoReef
12-03-2005, 02:36 AM
ok, i have 2 percs, 1 six line wrasse, and 1 manderine draggonette. all very small. i bit of alge as in a patch about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide. i am skimming but it is a very crappy skimmer. what would be good for the 20 ????? i have a squamosa clam in there, TONS of different zoos, finger leather, ricordia, conch, snails, crabs, emerald crab, various polyps, and feather duster.... i think im missing a few things....but i cant think of them... o ya a bta.... i THINK thats it

monza
12-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Pretty simple, two much stuff and a crappy skimmer. Go get your bigger tank and the best skimmer you can buy watch your hobby grow.

Dave

OCDP
12-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I agree... you need a good skimmer for a high bioload. I use an AquaC Remora on my 20g... and it constantly pulls out nasty gunk. I always skim on the wettest setting too for maximum skimmate.

This is totally off subject but how do you have a mandarin in your 20g? Does it eat prepared foods?

NanoReef
12-03-2005, 11:59 PM
yeppers, he eats anything,,, mysis, bloodworms, everything. pods... what is the best skimmer to put on my 20

Invigor
12-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I would simply gravel vac and do a few water changes...much cheaper than a SUPER WHAMMO SKIMMERZ0R.

try something silly like a 50% water change 3 days in a row, gravel vaccing each time.

I wouldn't consider those 4 fish A HUGE BIOLOAD like everyone is saying..give your heads a shake guys.

I would also try washing down the frozen food you're putting in your tank with pure water...might be getting phosphates or nitrates, or who knows what else from that. I found cyclopeeze was contributing to a huge problem in my tank. since I quit feeding it, my sand's been cleaning up and my glass doesn't get dirty nearly as fast.

also, try to get some readings for NO3 and PO4.

do you have a filter running with filter floss or a sponge? if so, either replace them or give em a really good cleaning in some waterchange water so the bacteria doesn't suffer.

and POSSIBLY, how old are the lights on top of your tank?

Johnny Reefer
12-04-2005, 02:17 AM
I wouldn't consider those 4 fish A HUGE BIOLOAD like everyone is saying..give your heads a shake guys.

Everyone isn't saying the 4 fish is a huge bio-load.
It's the 4 fish and the clam, and the Finger Leather, and the Ricordia, and the conch, and the snails, and the crabs, and the Emerald crab, and the Feather Duster, and the BTA, and the various polyps, and the TONS of Zoos, not to mention the Live Rock (that wasn't mentioned).

Cheers,

NanoReef
12-05-2005, 06:19 PM
yea i have about 20 pounds in there....