PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas????

gordypoo
12-01-2005, 11:53 PM
I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what i have on my rock. I have no picture so i'll try to explain. Most are round shells and one peanut shaped, maybe the size of a dime or nickel, attatched to various pieces of rock. Last night i observed one shell opening up a little at the tip and there was this jet black thing inside. Although i have no idea what it was because you could only make out the dark balck color as the shell was only opened a bit and then later the shell closed. The shells have jagged edges to them. For the life of me i can't figure out what kind of creatures would appear so black. Any ideas????? In fact another shell is open most of the time with the same jagged edges and if i pick up the rock or disturb it, it will close. What could be in these shells?

Edmonton Eskimo
12-02-2005, 12:04 AM
do you notice any kind of webby substance coming from the shells? If you do they are probably annelid snails.

gordypoo
12-02-2005, 12:12 AM
No webby substance............nothing. In fact on the black creature i could make out ribbed lines across it. It never came out of the shell but the shell was open slighty just for awhile.

Beverly
12-02-2005, 02:03 AM
Could be some kind of bivalve?

TNTCanada
12-02-2005, 04:46 AM
Could be some kind of bivalve?

I'm with Beverly

Cheers
Tyler

gordypoo
12-02-2005, 05:17 AM
It's very possible..........thanks. If only i could say for sure what it is. I have several of these shells in my tank which open and close. Interesting!!!