PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop Uv Sterilizer

SJSobczyk
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone wouldnt mind giving me some ideas on how to to a closed loop system with a uv sterilizer tied in. I do not have a sump or a refugium to tie into. I was thinking of using one powerhead (maxijet 1200) and either pvc or any kind of tubing to bring the water out of the tank, down to the ground (roughly 4 feet) and then back up.

Anything else you could recommend? Or a better design?

Thanks

Steve

albert_dao
12-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Maxijets don't have that kind of power.

Another thing to keep in mind with a CL is that the whole idea is to increase flow through your tank. UV sterilizers need low flow rates to be effective. That's why ideas like this aren't very popular.

Realistically, you'd be able to get away with a pump like the Mag3, but I'd scrap the idea of trying to extend the line down four feet.

How big is the tank?

SJSobczyk
12-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Tank is a 75 gallon non drilled. I broke off part of my fluval so that is out of the idea, plus i hated all the gunk that collected in there. So now i have a UV sitting there unused.

Steve

SJSobczyk
12-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Might be able to hang the UV on the back of the tank, or drill it on the wall behind the tank. Then it would realistically only be dropping about a foot or so, would a maxijet work then?

Steve

albert_dao
12-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Good question. I suspect it would, but your outbound flow after the UV unit and outlets would be something miniscule like <5 GPH per head.

SJSobczyk
12-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Well what about a Hagen 802 powerhead? According to the books it can achieve a maximum movement of 400 gph (which probably isnt that realistic, so we can say 350 gph). then by the time it reaches the uv we are probably talking about 300???? gph, which fits right in between of the minimum and maximum for my uv (*Recommended pump flow rate, 200-400 gallons per hour).

What about them apples? Would that work?

Steve

AndyL
12-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Read up on UV in saltwater (highly recommend calfos forum on RC), if you're still set on doing it, then consider hanging the UV over the back, you could feed it with a MJ1200, ala typical HOB skimmer (MJ in the tank, U tube over to the UV, U Tube feeding back to the tank)

Andy