PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp stunned goby?

Diana
12-01-2005, 04:55 AM
I have a shrimp/goby pair that have lived in pretty much harmony for the past couple months (the goby was occationally 'kicked out' and would reside near the heater, but always went back to the burrow a day or two later). Anyways, this morning I awoke to my goby laying motionless at the entrance to the burrow. I had heard several loud clicking sounds from the shrimp just about 15 mintues prior (he usually only does 2 or 3, but this was lots). The goby looked perfect, just wasnt moving. So I poked him with my target feeder.... and he looked dead.

I left him for a few minutes and saw the shrimp come out of his burrow and pull the motionless goby back inside.

Was the goby stunned by the shrimp? Or do you think he's dead?

Has anyone heard of the shrimp turning against the goby?

I have not seen either of them since...

:puppydog:
-Diana

Dolf
12-01-2005, 05:55 AM
I have to admit- I am interested in the outcome. Is your goby alive and well?

deacon hemp
12-01-2005, 06:41 AM
That is interesting! :eek: I'll be following too.

Diana
12-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Still no sight of either of them... ie- the shrimp is not out looking for food. Full from the goby snack or too scared to venture without him?

curious!

Chin_Lee
12-01-2005, 02:30 PM
I think your goby's dead and the shrimp is having such a feast that it doesn't need to come out to scavage for food. probably not what you want to hear but if you are poking your fish and its not moving, its probably dead.

Diana
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Haha... dont worry... thats what I figured.... but i've been keeping fish since the dawn of time and I know what one looks like when its dead.... and this guy for some reason didnt quite look dead. I know pistol shrimps stun fish, so it would not be unlikely that it was stunned.

However, after they stun fish, I guess they usually eat them.

But that would be strange for a pistol to stun and eat his 'partner'.

:microwav:

TNTCanada
12-02-2005, 04:55 AM
Just think of it as a devorce. Probably saw him shake a fin at another shrimp and got gealous.
The end

Love stories always so sad.

PS Hope he's still alive.

Cheers
Tyler

Dolf
12-02-2005, 08:00 AM
If he is gone will you buy him another meal…er, rather partner?

Diana
12-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Hahaha... I've been thinking about that one!

Nah I think I would hold off for a while... as much as I loved my little goby! hehe

Wait until my shrimp grows up and can handle a real relationship :cool: