PDA

View Full Version : type of ram?

robzilla
11-30-2005, 04:04 AM
hi, with which program/application do i use to find out what type of ram, i have in my computer (ddr/sdram/etc). i checked the control panel/hardware profiles but couldnt find it.

thanks
rob

DanG
11-30-2005, 04:12 AM
What kind of computer is it?
http://www.kingston.com/products/default.asp
Kingston's configurator is pretty good as long as you know the model number.

Jason McK
11-30-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm not sure you can.

I would open the box and find out what motherboard you have than search for the specs online. A mother board can only accept 1 type of RAM

J

DanG
11-30-2005, 03:20 PM
I just found this posted on one of the other forums I go to.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

titus
11-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Hello,

Anyone experienced a problem with motherboard not seeing a RAM module even though it's sitting there? I have two working RAM modules but the motherboard is only seeing one. This is on a Sony VAIO laptop btw. Not sure if something got in the contact points on the motherboard RAM socket but I didn't see anything during a visual check.

Titus

GobiGurl
12-01-2005, 01:42 AM
shut down your pc, reboot it and immediately hit the pause/break key on your keyboard, do it really quickly until you come to the second screen of information. (The first screen will say ie. 128mb ram but thats on your video card) the second or third page will tell you what kind of ram you have, either sdram or ddr.

Lynn

GobiGurl
12-01-2005, 01:44 AM
You have to hit enter between the pause/break keys to start it going again. If you miss it, just reboot again, won't hurt it.

GobiGurl
12-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Titus, did this just start not finding the ram or has it never found it? If it never found it, most likely not seated properly, take it out and reseat it. If your under warranty, take it to them, they'll do it or your not covered by warranty, (if you admit to playing with it) It's possible its fried, we get this occasionally but very rarely on a newer pc or laptop. Third and most unlikely possibility, conflicting types. (I hear that that sony dude is pretty smart and knows what kind of ram to use.) If you're not under warranty and are scared to touch it, give me a call, it's what I do.....

Cheap tech-works for frags :razz:

titus
12-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Hello,

Both RAM modules came with the laptop and has been working sincd 2002. However, one of the socket is not seeing any RAM that is plugged in there. About a month ago, the laptop will freeze from time to time and upon reboot, the memory will drop from 512MB to 254MB. I had been re-sitting the RAMs each time it does that and upon starting up, I'll see 512MB again. However, this trick had stopped working now. Don't know why.

Both RAM modules are working as I tried either one on one of the RAM sockets. Motherboard was able to regonize either RAM module in this socket, but not the other one.

Titus

Griffin
12-03-2005, 06:33 AM
One thing to try is taking a eraser to both memory sticks - on the gold parts - and if possible try to get into the motherboard part aswell - sometimes a varnish like coating will stop the boards from being seen. Just something to try but if it still does not recognize the stick i would say find a good deal on a 512 stick or go huge and get a gig.

Rich

ps: blow out the eraser bits :lol:

BT05
12-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Hello,

Try a more thorough test using Memtest86+ (get the floppy version): http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Should go through every single bit in your RAM to find any problems.

If the RAM passes that test, then try utilities on the boot CD image here:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Has some motherboard diagnostic tools you can use to check devices and such (also contains memtest86+ and other memory tests, but you have to burn this to CD).

Hopefully, your RAM is fried instead of the mobo...
Good luck

GobiGurl
12-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Post from Griffin was both of us, but unfortunately, it's got to be one of the two. :confused: