PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

geopod
11-29-2005, 11:19 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1623Nov_14_081-thumb.jpg

I have a few of these on a rock in the tank.Can anyone tell me what these are?

george

geopod
11-29-2005, 11:20 PM
ok so it really didnt work.It is the same pic in my photot gallery.If someone can tell me what I did wrong??It almost looks like a elegance coral

Delphinus
11-29-2005, 11:26 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1623Nov_14_081.jpg

Close. First the image you used was the thumbnail not the large version. Click on the thumbnail to get the bigger version.

Then copy the image location and paste into a post. Remove the "?number" following the .jpg.

Lastly, enclose the image URL in [ img ] ... [ /img ] tags. One trick, this works well (at least for me): highlight the text, then click the "Img" button above. Then it adds both tags for you.

Oh and ya'. I'm sorry but I don't know what the coral is. It doesn't look like an elegance though.

geopod
11-29-2005, 11:28 PM
thanks Tony I am gonna try to print this page so I dont mess this up again.Someone always has to help me on this part.

george

Ryan7
11-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Balanophyllia Bairdiana

geopod
11-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Where did you find that from???I have been searching and searching..... I am gonna do some reading on it now.Thanks

george

Beverly
11-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Strange looking stuff :smile: Let us know what you find out about it, George :biggrin:

AndyL
11-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Balanophyllia bairdiana is a small anemone like species that belongs to a collective order of species (including anemones and stone corals) that is known as Hexacorallians. This species belongs to the order Scleractinia (stony corals) and is in the family Dendrophylliidae. It is known to occur in the waters of the Indo-western Pacific region. This species can be found in the waters of south-eastern Australia from depths of 5 to 75 metres and is found on reef habitats. This species varies in colour and may be orange, pink or white. During the daytime the tentacles generally remain contracted and at night they emerge to feed. Balanophyllia bairdiana has a maximum diameter of approximately 2cm.

Beverly
11-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Sounds like it might be good in a species tank, especially if it spreads easily.

AndyL
11-30-2005, 02:40 AM
Can't find anything on its specific care requirements, likely it's a hitch hiker that you'll be unlikely to maintain in the aquarium. If you really like it, you could try spot feeding it like you would with a sun coral or similar.

Andy

geopod
11-30-2005, 03:07 AM
I am now the 3rd person in 6 yrs to hold this piece. The first person had just one head and then it spread and she fragged it to someone else.The original was sold to my friend and now it is in my possesion.. It seems to like the tank surroundings and have already been in contact with someone tonight from a University in Australia. And they were surprised to hear that it survived this long in captivity.But they want more pics and info from me as well and she was going to send me more info too. Andy I did the read up on the exact same from you were stating here too. But like you said there is no real care guide for it. But I am gonna keep looking.

thanks again

george

Ryan7
11-30-2005, 04:57 AM
I found it in my "Coral Reef Animals of the Indo Pacific" book. I have a few of them in my tank as well that hitched in on some LR. They havent really spread, but I don't do anything specific for them.

geopod
11-30-2005, 04:19 PM
do you hand feed them? Or just let them do their own thing?

george

Ryan7
11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
I just leave mine alone. When I feed my tank I notice they get some food from time to time. If you want them to multiple, I think hand feeding them is a good idea.

geopod
11-30-2005, 11:12 PM
thanks for the tips