PDA

View Full Version : oh, clownfish are dumb...

OCDP
11-29-2005, 03:48 PM
They really are.

I had them hosting a nice RBTA a couple weeks ago at the most. I sold it due to it's size.. and since replaced it with a new smaller GBTA. They have brushed up against it a few times now... stared at it, the works.. but not hosting it. Silly buggers... haha, they'd much prefer to sleep in their comfy Seio 620 powerhead at night.

I've tried all my little tricks to coax them into it but no luck. Looks like I may have an un-hosted anemone this time around (at least for a while).... d'oh!

Just felt like sharing haha

digital-audiophile
11-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Clowns make me laugh, one of mine hosts my hammer, the other hosts a mag-float, my skunk cleaner has also made a space between a powerhead and the glass it's cleaning station.

WWWD
11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
clowns are notorious for sleeping on or around powerheads. i think it has something to do with the hum of them.

Diana
11-29-2005, 04:39 PM
We had a little clown that rubbed against and slept near the heater. Ooooo that made me REAL nervous.

And our valentini puffer sleeps on the powerhead at night :mrgreen:

-Diana

DanG
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
My maroon won't leave his gbta, if the food floats by 7 inches away, he won't go for it, it seems that it has to be 6 inches or less.

OCDP
11-29-2005, 04:45 PM
hahah, interesting.

Not suprising about your maroon though Dang, maroons are a natural host to BTA's .. so its no wonder he wont leave it !

I am sure mine will take to it in time...

blood_hound
11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
My maroon do that to he never leave the bta and he attack any fish that come to close even bites my hand during cleaning. :evil:

OCDP
11-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Heh, sounds like a typical maroon :lol:

Petcrazy
11-29-2005, 05:15 PM
6 Inches or less?
..........joke withheld....

But anyways, at least yours host things. But then again I refuse to get an anemone for my clown....the whole thing about it moving around, stinging things and possibly croaking and ruining my water conditions just never made me feel comfortable with the idea.

OCDP
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Hmm, anemone's are awesome.. I love them. I only have experience with BTA's .. but hope to try out some other harder to keep ones if and when I upgrade my tank.

Clownfish/anemone relationship is why I got into this hobby. I find anemones pretty amazing animals. I want to really try a sebae anemone.. love the look of them.

I have kept over 10 BTA's (clones and mother colonies) and have not lost a single one, nor has one ever polluted my 20g tank :mrgreen:

Shy_Koi
11-29-2005, 05:54 PM
My maroon won't leave his gbta, if the food floats by 7 inches away, he won't go for it, it seems that it has to be 6 inches or less.

My percs are the same way, except that they won't go further than 2 inches from the RBTA - they just watch the food float on by....
It's really difficult to feed them right now, since the anemone just split for the first time and both "halves" are hiding under a low rock ledge, healing (presumably).
I hope the @#!* fish come to their senses before they starve...
~Tamara

OCDP
11-29-2005, 05:57 PM
This was the one down side to keeping my RBTA with the clowns.. they never ventured away from it .. so there were no active fish swimming around. Mine however are pigs and would eat all the time , any time.

Gizmo
11-29-2005, 07:50 PM
My Percs made a happy home in the branches of a colt. They lay their eggs on a rock shelf about 4" away and other than to check on their kids, they lay on the branches, chase each other inside the colt.

OCDP
11-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Ah ha! Well mrs. clownfish has made herself nice and comfy in the GBTA... guess it didn't take as long as I thought it would :rolleyes: