PDA

View Full Version : Alge Stages??

NanoReef
11-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Im going to be starting up my 90 gallon right after xmas. i was wondering, is there any way to "skip" the alge stages??? i know i will get some growth but i dont want it to be covered in hair alge or that thick black diatome stuff. Thanks

WWWD
11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
the short answer is no, the longer version goes like this noooooooo.

OCDP
11-29-2005, 03:36 PM
ahahah... the harsh reality...

if only there were a way to skip that cycle...

christyf5
11-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Yep, you're pretty much stuck with the algae. Hopefully it passes quickly for you though :biggrin:

Beverly
11-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Cure the rock in a separate tank. When it is cured and free of all dead stuff and detritus, put it into your display tank with all new water, no water from the curing container. That way, you leave all the detritus in the curing container as well as all the nutrients the curing process created.

FWIW, my page on curing live rock....

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/reeftips-curingliverock.htm

NanoReef
11-30-2005, 01:43 AM
wow, that sucks! o well. how long do you recomend waiting after setting it up to put coral in it.

AndyL
11-30-2005, 02:17 AM
There's no simple answer to that question... Basically you're going to have to wait until the tank stabilizes, and the ammonia and nitrite readings show 0 for a couple consecutive weeks.

There are always some shortcuts, buying live rock from someone getting out of the hobby rather than 'fresh' stuff from a pet store, reduces the initial cycling (straight out of their tank into a bucket of saltwater would be prefered).

Some products like arag-alive can be beneficial, but it's by no means a fixall - and will not eliminate the tanks cycling.

Simple patience, correct stocking of cleanup crews is your best plan, for every shortcut there is a tradeoff.

Andy

deacon hemp
11-30-2005, 02:44 AM
I would think of cooking your live rock for a month to help with algea blooms,although its usually done with cured rock.I will never use anything but cooked rock from now on.

RobbAdams
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
What is "cooking" live rock

Robb

Beverly
11-30-2005, 03:39 PM
What is "cooking" live rock

Explained here.....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=485572