PDA

View Full Version : A question about closed loops

Skimmerking
11-29-2005, 01:45 AM
I'm upgrading to a 170 i know its not the 180 club ,but with the sump it will be 210.

The question that i have is I'm getting a tank that is 60x27x24 with 2x overflows to run 1.5" pipes. Now the return pump i'm going to use is a Barracuda 4500GPh or should i use my 3MD as the return and keep the barracuda as a close loop.

Or should i use the barracuda as a return and have it teed off to the 32"beckett skimmer. I know that the pump is a direct drive and its not a pressure pump.

Is there any otherways that i could run this i also thought about running the cuda on a CL with the input pipe going into the overflow and having 4 1" pipes spaced around the top of the tank.

THere is another question can i have smaller returns on the Barracuda pump instead of a 1.5" return have 1" returns or is this a NO NO with this type ofg pump...

what about this

http://www.gilandbri.com/html/aquascaped__1.html

a guy on reef central shown me this on his tank...

Skimmerking
11-29-2005, 02:00 PM
BUMP any one out there

muck
11-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Use the cuda as a CL pump.
4500GPH would be a heck of a lot flowing through your sump.. :eek:

Chin_Lee
11-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm upgrading to a 170 i know its not the 180 club ,but with the sump it will be 210.

The question that i have is I'm getting a tank that is 60x27x24 with 2x overflows to run 1.5" pipes. Now the return pump i'm going to use is a Barracuda 4500GPh or should i use my 3MD as the return and keep the barracuda as a close loop.

Or should i use the barracuda as a return and have it teed off to the 32"beckett skimmer. I know that the pump is a direct drive and its not a pressure pump.

Is there any otherways that i could run this i also thought about running the cuda on a CL with the input pipe going into the overflow and having 4 1" pipes spaced around the top of the tank.

THere is another question can i have smaller returns on the Barracuda pump instead of a 1.5" return have 1" returns or is this a NO NO with this type ofg pump...

what about this

IF I were in your shoes, I would use the cuda on a CL and md for return. 4500 gph is gonna be too much flo thru your sump and any microbubbles from the skimmer may not have the opportunity to dessipate with that type of flow.
I would also get a seperate pressure rated pump dedicated for the beckett skimmer ie mak4 or 5, iwaki55 or 70 depending on the size of the beckett. I had previously used a mag24 on a skimmer and the difference between a mag24 and a pressure rated pump is incredible.

I would also avoid that type of plumbing on the top of the tank - i would find it very difficult to perform any regular maintenance. I would have plumbed my CL through bulkheads through the rear and bottom glass panels.

Skimmerking
11-29-2005, 05:40 PM

what about this

IF I were in your shoes, I would use the cuda on a CL and md for return. 4500 gph is gonna be too much flo thru your sump and any microbubbles from the skimmer may not have the opportunity to dessipate with that type of flow.
I would also get a seperate pressure rated pump dedicated for the beckett skimmer ie mak4 or 5, iwaki55 or 70 depending on the size of the beckett. I had previously used a mag24 on a skimmer and the difference between a mag24 and a pressure rated pump is incredible.

I would also avoid that type of plumbing on the top of the tank - i would find it very difficult to perform any regular maintenance. I would have plumbed my CL through bulkheads through the rear and bottom glass panels.

Chin Lee that is what Doug and I were talking about. Doug used to own this tank he had 2x1.25 bulkheads in the corner of the tank. I was thinking about getting some holes drilled in the tank but getting some one to drill them at my house is a slight problem.

I have a Mag 24 running my 32" beckett now i didnt know that a mak 4(1190 Pressure) VS Mag 24 2400 Flow would be better. I have a Mak 4 coming from a guy in the states so i guess i could do that.

Doug and I were talking about running the CL from the tank using a pipe with holes drilled into it have it in one end and have it coming out from the output return into may be 2-4 lines at one end pushing across the tank from either left to right or right to left. :question:

Or use the mag 24 on a CL instead of the barracuda. So i will have the 3md on a return and a mak 4 on the skimmer and the mag 24 on a CL or the barracuda.

What is the most flow you should have in a FOWLR.

Here is my list kind in mind i will be adding slowing ofcourse.

Tank live stock to this date:
Scopas tang
Yellow tang
Flame Angel
Mandrin Green spot
3 Chromis
2 perc's
Neon wrasse
2 PJ cardinal.
2 big brittle stars
a blue linkia

Going to add thur out the year
Copperband
Kole tang
2-3 cardinals depending on Doug :mrgreen:
coral Beauty
Long nose butterfly
Racoon butterfly
Regal angel ( MAYBE)
another 2-3 Chromis

all in the air but the Fish that i might be getting from doug are
Copperband
Kole tang
2-3 cardinals

Doug
11-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Just my thoughts on becketts, {at least the ones we have used} and pumps. After many posts on RC with beckett designers, the general agreement is with Chin. The pressure pumps drive them better.

HOWEVER, :lol: , Myself and some others, including Andy from Ontario, have found after numerous tries with both the Mak 4 and Mag 24, that the Mag 24, seems to out do the Mak 4. The amount of foam developed by the Mag 24 seems to be more in most cases.

I still prefer the Mak 4 and its lower power. Plus, some of the debate is how the Mag 24 will preform in the long run, not being pressure rated.

Now, if one goes with Chin,s other suggestions, then the competion is over. The larger pressure pumps will drive the beckett crazy. If I was ever to use a similar beckett again, I would be using something comparable to the larger pressure pumps mentioned.

Mike, I agree with others. No way the overflows on that tank will handle 4500gph. To much in the sump also. Not sure about splitting it between the skimmer and return.

I also have to agree with Chin on the plumbing pic you posted. That looks like a nightmare. :eek: I would keep a close loop more simple. Drilling is the best, but the over the top intake, to the bottom of the tank, with slots most of the way to the top. That way the intake is spread out, so attaching fish are not a problem. Plus the slots near the top, create a siphon break, in case of a leak failure in the closed loop system.

You could then run a couple of over the top returns from the closed loop. Ya got to many pumps now. :lol:

Skimmerking
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Never i love pumps LOL :mrgreen: So i will call you tonight there Doug maybe i can get that piece od PVC off of you if you are not using. \\

Hopfully i will pick up the tank tonight need to make a call.
\

mike :mrgreen: