PDA

View Full Version : testing Ca

fresh
11-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi all,

I am just in the process of supplementing with Ca and Alkalinity using the "A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System" article that Christyf5 points to in her post.

I already have a dkh test kit made by aquarium pharma, and I need to buy a Ca test kit. I know that all of you say that Salifert is the best, and Hagen is the worst. What about the middle range?

I would like to buy the aquarium pharma Ca test kit. Anybody has any experience with that specific test kit?

Please let me know.

Thanks
fresh.

deacon hemp
11-28-2005, 08:11 PM
I'd just get it over with and fork out for salifert,they are worth every penny.I can't tell you anything about the other one.

DanG
11-28-2005, 08:25 PM
The salifert is just so easy, I can't imagine saving a couple of bucks anymore to deal with the extra drawn out time the other kits require, particularily the Hagen kit.

reeferaddict
11-29-2005, 01:23 AM
I use the AP one until I buy a monitor... at $16.99 it lasts about 6 months testing 2 - 3 times a week... and is accurate to +/- 20ppm... I have compared my results to Seachem's much more elaborate, (and expensive) kits, and found it to be bang on... just my 2 bits...

Beverly
11-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Make sure to test and adjust magnesium when doing your water chemistry tests. Magnesium levels should be between 1280 and 1350 ppm. I keep mine on the higher end and have great coraline and LPS stony growth.

Salifert makes an excellent Mg test kit :biggrin: