PDA

View Full Version : I have a brain that is not doing well

digital-audiophile
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
So, I purchased an open brain a little over a month ago, now it was bleached (being new to reefs I didn't know at the time that the flourecent coulour that drew me in was actually a sign of bleaching :redface: )

I figured given a little TLC it would plump up and regain its colour. The problem now is that over the past few weeks little bits of the skeloton on the edge have started to show, and on Saturday a good portion of skelton became exposed. Now I'm not sure what to do. It has been opening its mouth every couple of days and I have been feeding it cyclopeeze and mysis but it keeps deteriorating.

It's in a 10gallon with 65watts PC, AC500 Fuge and a couple rio powerheads. It is at the bottom of the tank with moderate flow around it. I did the base tests on my water last night. Salinity 1.024, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrites 0. I don't have any other test klits but I assume I should start testing for other elements now.

I'll have to post pictures later as I am in the office right now.

Any advice for a new guy to this hobby?

Greg

muck
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
What else is in the tank?

digital-audiophile
11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Sorry, I should have listed that.

-30Lbs live rock, 10 Lbs live sand
-Branching hammer (on the other side of the tank)
-Blasto
-Candy Cane
-GSP
-Pulsing Xenia
- 2 small Perculas
- Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- Peppermint Shrimp
- a handfull of small hermits
- a handfull of astrea and nerite snails

I should add that all the other coral seems to be growing well and are healthy. The hammer is splitting a couple new heads and the blasto and candy cane eat like crazy, same with the livestock.

Greg

DanG
11-28-2005, 06:00 PM
You should be testing for and dosing calcium and alkalinity. Shoot for 400-450ppm calcium and 8-12 dhk for alkalinity.

digital-audiophile
11-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Just got the kits and did the tests

DKH 10
360ppm Calcium

I'll take some photos of the brain shortly and post them

digital-audiophile
11-29-2005, 01:35 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/gregkubasek/sickbrain1.jpg[/img]

OCDP
11-29-2005, 01:42 AM
hmm it's definitely bleached and appears as if algae is growing on the skeleton .. I would give it as much light as possible and keep those paramaters as good as possible.. sorry I have no more advice to offer..

digital-audiophile
11-29-2005, 01:45 AM
This is about as bad as it has been. When I got it, the coral was rather translucent and not plump but now it has the exposed skeleton.

digital-audiophile
11-29-2005, 03:53 PM
The poor thing seemed to be even worse this morning. Is there anything I can do to help saveit, or am I forced to watch it shed all the way to the skeleton and death :frown:

WWWD
11-29-2005, 04:12 PM
i would find someone you know who has a healty lps tank and ask them to babysit for a few months until you figure out whats up.