PDA

View Full Version : Cords Too Short

Johnny Reefer
11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Don't ya hate it.
Why don't they make the cords on our equipment, like powerheads/heaters/etc., just 2' longer?

So the dilemma is...I want to put my heaters and some powerheads down low in my 180 and 135. Putting these items a foot and a half down in doesn't leave enough cord to reach the powerbar. Consequently, an extension cord is required. A drip loop before the connection to the extension cord is next to impossible and also that connection is exposed to any splashing that might occur over the back of the tank.

To make a long story short....I have what might be considered a very stupid question, but here goes...
I was thinking of wrapping the connection(s) to the extension cord(s) with packing tape.
Anyone know if this is a bad idea?
I have it in my head that heat needs to be allowed to dissipate from the connection and that it is not a good idea.

Any other ideas in resolving this would also be appreciated.

Thanx much,

muck
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
well the heaters can go in the sump to save some cord and keep them out of the display.
As for the powerheads Id just use a small extension cord.

saltynuts
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
heater i put in my overflow that way i dont hit it when i am cleaning it.
as for power head a small cord would work best!

Johnny Reefer
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
well the heaters can go in the sump to save some cord and keep them out of the display.
As for the powerheads Id just use a small extension cord.

1). The 135 won't have a sump, and....

2). It looks like you didn't read the whole of my post, which is understandable as I can be long in the tooth at times. Or maybe I didn't make it sensical.
I do plan on going with extension cords. The problem I am trying to alleviate is not how to reach the powerbar (I'm not that dumb). The problem I am trying to alleviate is how to go about providing protection for the electrical connection(s) that will be hanging exposed, behind the tank.

But, now that I think about it, I guess electricians tape would work okay.

Thanx much and sorry to bother everyone with such a stupid question.

(I think I could use another coffee. :smile:)

Cheers,

KrazyKuch
11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
hey would not use packing tape....Electrical tape or rubber tape would work.....best would be to put shrink tubbing over the whole thing!!