PDA

View Full Version : cyano

adidas
11-28-2005, 12:55 AM
is cyano red and bubbly? or dark purple and bubbly? i think i have cyano, but everyome seems to describe it as red in color...

thx :confused:

Ruth
11-28-2005, 12:57 AM
It is pretty multinational that way. I have had red and a kind of purple/brown. It's all nasty though.

adidas
11-28-2005, 12:59 AM
fast reply! lol

yup it doesn't look good, all my corals don't seem to mind however..everything looks good.

GMGQ
12-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Red/Burgundy/Purple. Along those lines. If it's covering your corals, you should get it off ASAP. It's smothering them.

adidas
12-02-2005, 05:54 PM
yup we are constantly sucking it off them.

WWWD
12-02-2005, 07:06 PM
if it's bad then try some chemi-clean.

adidas
12-02-2005, 07:10 PM
currently it isn't really bad.. i will try chemi clean eventually. I'm worried it might bleach some of my SPS

GMGQ
12-02-2005, 08:24 PM
I ended up using 1/3 dosage of Maracyn in 70gal during a fruitless bout with cyano. Actually got rid of green hair algae too. Everything's been in control ever since. No ill effects on any of the corals or fish.

adidas
12-02-2005, 08:55 PM
I ended up using 1/3 dosage of Maracyn in 70gal during a fruitless bout with cyano. Actually got rid of green hair algae too. Everything's been in control ever since. No ill effects on any of the corals or fish.

never heard of maracyn... did it affect your sps or anything?

Reef_kid
12-02-2005, 10:09 PM
the easiest way to get ride of cyano is to lack the amount of nutrients in your tank... cyanobacteria is a nitrogen fixating bacteria.. And when the fermentation and decay of foods in the tank accumulate cyano thrives due to the increase of nitrogen and phosphate.
There is no way of eliminating cyano from the tank totally since its one of the most common and variable species of bacteria.
If it dose get out of hand treatment of erythromycin.
Doses do depend on the source that it comes from for instance Maracyn
Use as directed to treat a infection on the fish.
Since cyano is a bacteria not an alga erythromycin attaches the cell of the bacteria and kills it..
Although in this treatment new carbon and protein skimming is a must.
The reason it will kill hair alga is that it belongs to the family of Chlorophyta, which is a green alga that lives in a symbiotic relationship with cyano bacteria, and the treatment therefore kills the bacteria and the host cannot survive.

This treatment is generally safe for coral and invertebrates in small doses
Although it may put off the maturation period of the tank due to bacteria die off. Be sure to filter and skim as well as water changes.

adidas
12-02-2005, 10:20 PM
thanks for the info. I know I have a nitrate problem so i'm sure thats where the cyano is from. i'm going to start weekly large water changes right away. the cyano isnt out of hand yet, there is quite alot in the fuge, my Chaeto is coated in it.

untamed
12-04-2005, 01:04 AM
I fought a cyano problem for nearly a year...at one point doing water changes daily for two weeks trying to eliminate nutrients. I tried phosphate sponges, replaced my RO/DI filters, replaced my light bulbs, carbon filtration..finally trying chemiclean, and red slime remover.

In the end, a newer, larger skimmer cleaned it up nearly overnight!

GMGQ
12-08-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.aquariumpw.com/images/maracyn.jpeg

It's not specifically made for getting rid of Cyano, but it does as a side effect.

Nothing in my tank was adversely affected. The only thing is that you have to turn off your skimmer for a few days, because it will overflow within minutes if you dont. After a few days, when the cyano has noticeably disappeared, you have to start doing some water changes to get rid of the chemicals.

Of course this doesnt get rid of the root cause of the cyano, but it got rid of the existing cyano quickly, so that my efforts to reduce the nitrates were more effective in preventing it to start up again. It actually got rid of my green hair algae too. Neither has started up again <fingers crossed>.

never heard of maracyn... did it affect your sps or anything?

4ptbuck
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
yup Maracyn. I just put in 4 tabs in my tanks, 2 3 days agos and 2 more last night.

I know I have a bit of a overfeeding problem,... that the nature of cylopeeze though.

4pts....

GMGQ
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Wow, how big is your tank? I was told to put 1/3 of the recommended dosage on the package (I think it said 1 tablet per 10gal?), so 2 tabs worked in my 70gal. They told me I could always dose again after a few days, if the first dosage wasnt enough.

You want to use it sparingly, because Maracyn IS an anti-biotic. And with all anti-biotics (even for humans), the bacteria that you're trying to kill can adapt and become immune to it over time. So if you give it a big dosage now, down the road it could come back worse than ever.

Plus it would take longer to get it all out of your system. I couldnt wait to get my skimmer started again, but it was still overfilling after 4 days. Took a few water changes before things got back to normal.

yup Maracyn. I just put in 4 tabs in my tanks, 2 3 days agos and 2 more last night.

I know I have a bit of a overfeeding problem,... that the nature of cylopeeze though.

4pts....

WWWD
12-08-2005, 06:59 PM
why wouldnt you guys just treat with chemi-clean a product designed to fight cyano instead of something ment to treat freshwater?

4ptbuck
12-08-2005, 07:03 PM
I've got a 46g tank, with about a 20g sump.

never tried chemi-clean. will need to look into that.

4pts

adidas
12-08-2005, 08:21 PM
well I;m getting a new skimmer and i'm going to overskim like mad. That should help...did a big cleaning and water change on the weekend and have had virtually no cyano since.

GMGQ
12-08-2005, 09:45 PM
I've read that maracyn is not as harsh as chemi-clean. There are horror stories of chemi-clean wiping out SPS.

why wouldnt you guys just treat with chemi-clean a product designed to fight cyano instead of something ment to treat freshwater?

muck
12-08-2005, 09:49 PM
I've read that maracyn is not as harsh as chemi-clean. There are horror stories of chemi-clean wiping out SPS.

Id be interested in reading about this..
Can you post your source please??

GMGQ
12-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Just google it. Here's one thread:

http://www.fishheads.org/viewtopic.php?t=5153&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

WWWD
12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Just google it. Here's one thread:

http://www.fishheads.org/viewtopic.php?t=5153&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

that quote you listed the guy did back to back doses without water changes and no carbon. i have never heard of people having problems running chemi-clean before if you use it as prescribed. im convinced that if his water was in such bad condition to begin with that the clemi-clean was not the reason for the tank crash.