PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranch

wayner
11-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Big thread on Reef Central, all they eat is Aptasia, then they die, imagine that, this fellow ships to Canada , is anyone interested in splitting shipping?, or better still, have you ever seen them around the lfs's?, he sells them for 8 bucks a piece, shipping would be something like 65 Bucks u.s., to your door, the only thing that concerns me is how long they might get held up in customs, heat packs only last so long, anyhow, people swear by them, they actually reproduce in your tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6146861#post6146861

Snappy
11-27-2005, 10:16 PM
count me in.

Willito
11-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Hey Wayner,
I am good for a couple dozens if you can find out more about shipping....ei. amount in each box, etc. thx.

Delphinus
11-28-2005, 01:40 AM
I'd be game to try a few too...

monza
11-28-2005, 03:11 AM
If the order happens I'll take 8.

Dave

wayner
11-28-2005, 04:00 AM
See Message below from Mr. Berghia :smile: , I'm waiting for him to get back to me on the availability of 40 and how he would like to handle payment for us., please keep in mind before you jump on board that he won't be responsible if they get held up at customs. By the way, shipping to my door is $63.00 U.S. , Here's his message:

"I just spoke with FedEx. They said a delivery to your house is the same cost as a airport pick up. Doesn't seem right does it?

Nonetheless, I would recommend you pick up the shipment from a FedEx office rather than have it on a cold delivery truck. The heat packs can't stand up to cold weather for long.

Send me your postal code, and I'll get the estimate for you. My guess is it will fall somewhere in the $65-$75 range.

Also, Canadian customs can always hold the shipment up. If this happens, I can't be responsible for any problems this causes. I have a freind who ships corals into Canada fairly frequently. He has had a couple of shipments inspected by customs. But no shipments have been delayed to the point of killing anything.

The berghia can go 48 hours in shipping as long as they are warm. The heat pack last about 35 hours.

Just wanted you to have all of the facts as you consider this."

Snappy
11-28-2005, 04:22 AM
I would like 6, hopefully that will be enough. How do you want to arrange the $$$?

wayner
11-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Waiting for him to get back to me on that.

eposer
11-28-2005, 04:45 AM
I would like 4

Tarolisol
11-28-2005, 06:23 AM
how large are they? Im in for some as well.

Dolf
11-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I would check with fedex to find out how much they are going to charge in additional fees. The last thing I had shipped cost $20. The shipping was 50 and then they billed me an additional 75 for customs brokerage fees and everything else you could imagine. I nearly got sick and probably could have made it for less. Anyhow, good luck with the order.

wayner
11-28-2005, 02:20 PM
He has a Website now set up:

I forgot to mention, I now have a berghia web site up you can check out, www.saltyunderground.com.
If you can guarantee at least 40 berghia are shipping I can give you a price break down to $14 each. That helps a little I hope.

I need to check my berghia to see when I will have that number ready to go. Hopefully in December.

Thanks,
Kevin

Delphinus
11-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah, good point. Fedex will charge you the $75 for brokerage. Unlike UPS where they nail you with the cost right away, they wait at least two weeks to send you the invoice. At least that's how it's been the times I've had stuff sent via Fedex from the U.S.

I suggest seeing if you can get ahold of other Canadian customers of this fellow, and asking them how it worked out in the end. They may not have told him about those things in the end so he may not be aware of any additional (sur)charges that get applied on our end. $75 for shipping isn't pleasant but it's $75 more pleasant than say $150, so.. might be a good idea to find out since it will affect the cost per nudibranch.

muck
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Just a question but what is everyone going to do with these Nudis once they have exhauted their food source in your tank..? :confused:
(since they only eat aptasia)

OCDP
11-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Let them die ... the harsh reality.

It was already stated... this is what makes them so "special" They eat the aptasia, then they starve to death... from what I understand anyways.

wayner
11-28-2005, 08:43 PM
I don't think this is how brokerage fees work is it?, correct me if I'm wrong.

I asked FedEx about the concerns you raised. They believe what you are describing is a tax that was added onto the shipments based on the value claimed for the shipment. It may be related to NAFTA.

It is not a concern for us because I will place a $10 value on the shipment. This way I will not have to do the NAFTA paperwork and customs should pass it through better.

I also checked with my freind here who has shipped into Canada. He said his packages have been delivered around 10AM the morning after shipment.

So, if you are ready, send me the e-mail addresses of the people involved. I will explain all of the conditions and details of the shipment including the paymant instructions.

If you are not ready, I need to know right away. I can ship 40 berghia to you next Thursday and I am holding that number for your shipment assuming your group can all paypal by this weekend and you can take delivery next Friday 12/9.

Thanks,
Kevin Kevin Brown [saltyunderground@yahoo.com]

Snappy
11-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Just a question but what is everyone going to do with these Nudis once they have exhauted their food source in your tank..? :confused:
(since they only eat aptasia)
Pimp em' out

eposer
11-29-2005, 12:37 AM
If we put a value of only $10 on the shipment then if it gets damaged/lost etc... we're completely screwed though. Not sure the minimal savings (if the extra cost is simply factored into the cost per item) is worth the risk.

Just a thought.

PS: I'm off work all of next week so I can pick them up at the airport if needed.

Willito
11-29-2005, 02:32 AM
If you are not ready, I need to know right away. I can ship 40 berghia to you next Thursday and I am holding that number for your shipment assuming your group can all paypal by this weekend and you can take delivery next Friday 12/9.

Wayner, any idea on how many nudi's have been requested? Looks like there is only 40 available for next week. Could you take count and see if we can get this order rolling. Don't mean to push, but this thread can get out of control and before you know, those 40's will be gone. I'll take 12 nudi's please.

wayner
11-29-2005, 03:32 AM
Everyone who is still interested in this order send an e-mail to Kevin Brown [saltyunderground@yahoo.com], in the subject line, put Calgary Order, let him know how many you want, he'll get back to you with your cost including shipping., once he has all the numbers.

Lets make a deadline of Friday Midnight for placing orders.

Evan if we get enough people, I'll take you up on that offer to pick them up.

wayner
11-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Message from Kevin:

I am telling others who write (2 so far) that we are shipping Thursday, 12/8, and that I will write this weekend with their total and paypal.

Now you guys have to figure out how to meet next friday to take them home. They will need to eat on Saturday if not before.

You can go to my new web site to read the acclimation info. I will also e-mail it to everyone who pays along with the tracking numbers.

www.saltyunderground.com

wayner
11-29-2005, 10:57 PM
So far, 4 people have put in their order, 17 nudi's heading towards aptasia land.

Psyire
11-30-2005, 02:36 AM
I asked FedEx about the concerns you raised. They believe what you are describing is a tax that was added onto the shipments based on the value claimed for the shipment. It may be related to NAFTA.

Just something to consider... Anytime I've ever brought *anything* across the border with FedEx, they charge a $30-35 Brokerage fee *plus* GST on the declared value. This adds up fast... (UPS is the same way)

wayner
11-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Well, whatever the brokerage fee turns out to be, it'll have to be divided equally amongst the number of people ordering, I think were around 5 people right now.

Everyone has to agree to this or don't order.

TheReefGeek
06-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I am organizing a group buy from saltyunderground here:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=200254#post200254

Aquaholic
06-30-2006, 02:14 PM
sent pm, saying in for about 4-5.

TheReefGeek
06-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Didn't get a PM, and please add your interest to the main thread so I can keep track, thanks!