PDA

View Full Version : Shocking

Jaws
11-27-2005, 05:16 AM
The last couple times I've stuck my hand in my 70G tank, I've got a decent little shock. One time, I was touching my powerhead, the other time my elbow was touching the MH pendant and as soon as my hand touched the water, I got a shock. Any suggestions?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-27-2005, 05:40 AM
"Don't stick your hand in the tank!!" <sorry, had to>

Try unplugging one piece of equipment at a time to see which one is the culprit. Of course, this suggestion requires you stick your hand in the water to test if you still get shocked, so maybe someone else has a better idea?

Also, check your powerbar to see if its working properly.

HTH,

Anthony

reeferaddict
11-27-2005, 05:41 AM
A grounding probe... salt water is a wonderful conductor of electricity, but a grounding probe will allow that excess juice to exit via your house ground. I don't have one, (probably should), but I've never been shocked either. Might be worth looking into seeing if a piece of your equipment may be the cause too... I gotta come and have me a look soon... GITERDONE!

inspector
11-27-2005, 07:39 AM
anthony wrote"Don't stick your hand in the tank!!" <sorry, had to>

I suggest you get someone to give you a hand(in the tank)sorry i could'nt resist. Paul

smokinreefer
11-27-2005, 05:12 PM
yeah, just test your equipment by unplugging them one by one.

StirCrazy
11-27-2005, 05:34 PM
a grounding prob will only hide the problem, I would systimaticly reproduce the shock by trying to shock your self and each time unplug one electrinic componant untill you don't get the shock, this will let you find the faulty equipment and then you can replace/repair it.

Steve

DiscusZ
11-27-2005, 07:17 PM
This happened to me , and it turned out to be a power head the wire was broken near the Epoxy I noticed it when I looked down and I saw a flash every now and then.

Removed it and have not had it since.

Changes are it could be the power head. Like everyone said unplug various pieces of equipment and test again :)

Jim

Delphinus
11-27-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm thinking maybe a multimeter might be an alternative to using your hand in the water to find whether there's current or not. You can probably get a cheapy one for $20 at Home Depot/Rona/etc. or Radio Shack (or "The Source by CC" or whatever they call themselves now)...

DiscusZ
11-27-2005, 08:04 PM
Ahh but thats no fun Tony :)

KrazyKuch
11-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I had that happen once and I found out that it was my powerbar!!!

Jaws
11-28-2005, 04:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'll check the equipment one by one and see how I make out.

psychedelic
12-02-2005, 07:09 AM
You might wanna get those cheap screwdrivers at the dollar store that kinda glow when there's a current. I used to have one and I'll tap around my aquarium for leaks.

midgetwaiter
12-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Do yourself a favor and get a Ground Fault Interupt socket installed. You're going to hurt yourself with that eventually.

Jaws
12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Fortunately, the tank will only be set up for another week or two until I can transfer all the livestock into my 180G.