PDA

View Full Version : Help - Pumps too loud

Jaws
11-27-2005, 05:14 AM
I currently have two Mag 36 pumps one running my return and one running my closed loop. It sounds like a lawnmower in my living room to be honest. I've almost positive there's a problem with the pumps because there's no way they should be that loud. There's a couple things I'm curious about though:

On the return, the pump is plumbed with 1" pvc to a tee. After the tee, each side of the tee goes to a 3/4" SCWD. Each SCWD has two 1" returns, that alternate current as a result of the SCWD. Is the Mag 36 too much pump for the SCWD's? Could I get the same flow from a Mag 24 or something that size?

Both of the Mag 36's are plumbed with 1" pvc. Some have told me that changing it from 1" to 1.5" will make a difference in noise level. I can see it making a bit of a difference but does it really make as big of a difference as I would need it too (lawnmower to microwave)?

Lastly, if I determine that I need to go with different pumps, which would you say is quieter - Dolphin Ampmaster 3000 (3600gph) or a Reef Flo Dart or Barracuda (3500/4500gph)?

If anyone who can offer some help with these issues, I would really appreciate it. I have about two weeks to get all this sorted out so the sooner I can make a decision to stay with my old pumps or go with new ones, the sooner I can start listening to my tv on 20 volume again instead of 60 like I am now.

StirCrazy
11-27-2005, 05:32 PM
you are going to be limited with submerse pumps, the only way to really do it is to go in-line pumps and then put them in an insulated enclosure.

Steve

seashells
11-27-2005, 05:43 PM
how many feet of head do you have? In other words how high up does the pump need to push the water? On the Mag 36 the flow drops to 2350 gph at a height of 6 feet. Increasing pipe diameter will reduce the noise. Bear in mind your interpretation of noisy and someone elses will be different.

Jaws
11-28-2005, 04:57 AM
It's about 6 feet of head. I just can't see it being the pipe diameter that's making the pump this noisy.

Jaws
11-29-2005, 04:41 AM
On the return, the pump is plumbed with 1" pvc to a tee. After the tee, each side of the tee goes to a 3/4" SCWD. Each SCWD has two 1" returns, that alternate current as a result of the SCWD. Is the Mag 36 too much pump for the SCWD's? Could I get the same flow from a Mag 24 or something that size?

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Doormatt
11-29-2005, 05:18 AM
I can't help you, but I know I find my mag 9.5 loud...It's already sitting ontop of some vinyl tubing, but it still seems to make this loud humming sound.

It's ticking me off, since I spent $130 on a pump that I don't know if I'll be able to use.

BT05
11-29-2005, 07:12 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

So you have a 3600 GPH pump feeding 2 SCWDs? The SCWD I'm using has a 3/4" inlet and 3/4" outlets, you say your SCWDs have 1" returns/outlets? or did you just use a bushing to upsize them?

Anyway, I believe the max flow through a SCWD is only about 1400 GPH with 5 PSI. Even divided through 2 SCWD's including head loss, you are probably still over the "theorhetical" limit. If you want to keep using the same pump, I say put 2 ball valves before them to restrict/tweak flow AND tee off a relief line in case something goes wrong (ie. they jam up, fail from too much pressure etc). I would still do this if you downsize to a mag 24.

Personally, I'd return the 2 pumps and stick with one pump; the super ampmaster 5600 (6500 GPH) a somewhat quiet but very reliable pump. You can even get a specialized manifold for it that splits into 8 hose barbs or 6 1/2" slip couplers. That way you can have your main return lines providing relief and still be able to plumb your 2 SCWDs. (Just don't forget the ball valves like I mentioned) The same effect can be achieved by running both of your mag 36s on the same return line, but it's not as clean as using one of the nifty manifolds you can buy for the Dolphin pumps. There is also alot more plumbing involved to do it this way...

Murminator
11-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Is it the pump itself that is too loud or a vibration from it? Maybe you could put the pumps on some foam and keep all the plumbing away from the stand and the tank. I have heard of plumbing being up against the plywood on the stand and the vibration sounds like an airplane. If it is touch try wedging some foam where it is touching to isolate it.

HTH :cool: