PDA

View Full Version : Digitata Issue

Petcrazy
11-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Alright
I've had this nice green digitata for awhile, it's been doing great.
It has grown from merely looking like a stick, into something with nice branches and many 'fingers' etc.
Though a few days ago I noticed something....

In one of the branches it looks like something has literally burrowed into it, digging a huuuge hole right through and down the center of it and now into the main stem. I would have jumped on this sooner if I hadn't been so busy lately.

I dont know whether to break it off and hope for the best...or whats going on here.

I would take photos but my digital camera sucks bananas so badly that it would all look like one big...blur.

The rest of it looks fabulous, just the affected areas are...terrible. Even the polyps dont want to open up on that branch or now the core section its affected.
-sigh-

-PC

OCDP
11-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Hmm not too sure .. sounds pretty strange.... I have heard of montipora eating nudibranches though.. just a thought. Maybe try some reasearch on them

Petcrazy
11-26-2005, 08:51 PM
I didnt think I had any nudibranches...
I guess I'll have to take another closer look -sighs-
Like I needed any more nasty predator types in there...
-hair pulling commences....now-

Bob I
11-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Digatata is funny stuff. :rolleyes: I no longer have any growing normally. Mine has moved onto the glass of my tank. It is now a patch 6"x4" with branches growing horizontally. If I try to grow it normally it dies. :confused:

dirtyreefer
11-26-2005, 11:34 PM
In one of the branches it looks like something has literally burrowed into it, digging a huuuge hole right through and down the center of it and now into the main stem.

Does this coral have any "cobweb-like" strands around it? I had a worm in my tank that would do the same thing, burrow holes but it emitted some sort of slimy web that covered some of the coral.

What I did to get rid of it was crazy glue the holes, basically bury the bugger inside it's hole.

christyf5
11-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Vermetid snail??

http://www.reefland.com/gallery/files/5/2/0/9/vermetid_and_web-med.jpg

StirCrazy
11-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, it adds to the coral and the coral will do fine.

Steve

Petcrazy
11-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Now that you mention it yeah
A slimy white mucus to web near it...where the burrowing is happening...

Delphinus
11-27-2005, 08:05 PM
A vermetid snail wouldn't really "burrow" it will just attach itself and start growing its tube outwards.

In my experience (if this is what you have), they proliferate a tank rather quickly, and although the main consensus seems to be that they're harmless, I find the cobwebs to be extremely unappealing visually; and I would go so far as to say they're not "really" harmless because in my experience it can irritate a coral to death where there is contact (be it zoanthid, other softeys, LPS, and especially SPS. They did a LOT of damage to the corals in my tank and I no longer let them be when they show up next to a coral.)

dirtyreefer
11-27-2005, 08:34 PM
A vermetid snail wouldn't really "burrow" it will just attach itself and start growing its tube outwards.

They did a LOT of damage to the corals in my tank and I no longer let them be when they show up next to a coral.)

They did ALOT of damage to my acropora too, as it spun it's mucus-like web over it basically suffocating it. I turkey basted it when I could but could not keep up with the web. I ended up plugging up the holes with superglue and haven't looked back since.