PDA

View Full Version : Maco killing machine....

fortheloveofcrabs
11-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Now, I realize that if there were some magic answer to this question, the reefing world would be a lot different, but I'm going to ask it anyways. I have a bit of a macro problem, and besides ripping the peices out, one by one, while being attacked by my clows, is there a better way to rid my tank of it? I have, an albeit, blurry pic of my macro. It looks like a feather (the macro) - hundreds of green feathers. Is there aything that is nano safe that will eat this stuff?

Thanks in advance!

-Pauli

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3018

Matt
11-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Well, that picture is blurry, but I think your description pretty much makes that stuff out to be "feather caulerpa" -- it is a pretty common macro algae, but you don't want it in your reef.

Picking it off by hand is the best option from my experience. Take the rock out, and put it in a basin of SW, and with tweezers... drive yourself nuts. Repeat as necessary every 4-6 weeks.

Some tangs and butterflies are known to occcasionally eat it, but nothing nano-friendly, AFAIK.

Beverly
11-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Picking it off by hand is the best option from my experience. Take the rock out, and put it in a basin of SW, and with tweezers... drive yourself nuts. Repeat as necessary every 4-6 weeks.

In my very first reef, many years ago, I thought it would be great to have some grape caulerpa. My enthusiasm was so great, at the beginning, that I spread out onto several rocks in my 75g. Little did I know what a pest it was until it was faaaaaaaaaarrrrrr to late :eek:

I took out each rock, as Matt described, and tweezed the little baddies right down to their roots, digging deep into crevices as I carefully examined and tweezed each rock. It took two days to get it all :eek: :evil: I was determined to kill it once and for all, and, luckily, it never grew back.

Make sure you have a good light over your container of tankwater. Discard EVERYTHING that you pick off the rocks. Have a towel handy to wipe off all the little bits so they don't re-contaminate your tank.

Good luck!

geopod
11-27-2005, 02:30 AM
calurpa doesnt last long in my tank my fish eat it so fast it dont have a chance.And that fuzzy stuff I have a few rocks that have it and my tang and blenny chow down on it daily so they help to keep it under control....ummmm....somewhat..

george

fortheloveofcrabs
11-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Blenny you say? What kind? Blenny's are nano friendly! As for taking the rock out of the tank, my only concern is that there is a RBTA on that rockma nd I am not sure how well he will fair - so I am not thrilled with the tweezer idea, but it is 'plan B'... if it has to come to that....

Thanks all.

-Pauli