PDA

View Full Version : 1" hippo tang in a 50gal

One_Divided
01-13-2002, 10:49 PM
What do you guys think? I can get a tiny little hippo tang that's only about an inch long at the lfs. He'd go in my 50 gal (3"x18x18). I know for sure down the road, I will have a much larger system. So by the time he's starting to get too big he'll go in there. There will be lots of open space in the 50 anyway.

I'm not too sure on how fast they grow.

reefburnaby
01-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Hi,

Personally, I think a Hippo tang is a good second fish. The problem with Hippo tangs are that they are not vegetarians, unlike the rest of their brother and sisters. They also grow pretty fast...like all tangs. So that means more feeding...not exactly what you want to do during the brown and green algae stages.

If you want a tang ...try something yellow, or salfin -- at least they eat green algae images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Purples are nice too....just a bit pricy.

- Victor.

DJ88
01-14-2002, 01:37 AM
Adam,

I wouldn't. I had a small tang(4" long) in a 4' tank and now I realise even there they aren't happy. IMHO tangs need at least 5 or more feet in tank length to be happy.

If you felt your yellow was cramped in your current tank why subject another to the same thing? even if it is small right now.

You have seen how a tang or larger fish moves in the big tanks at the Vancouver Aquarium, and then seen how cramped they look after a while in a smaller tank. Why do it to another?

FYI Those tangs do grow to over 31 cm in length.

Well I'll get off my soap box now.

[ 13 January 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

One_Divided
01-14-2002, 02:41 AM
I see your points. That's all I needed. Is there any way you can give me a possible estimate as to how fast they might grow in a 50 though?

And when say a bigger tank down the road, I mean BIG.

DJ88
01-14-2002, 02:46 AM
Adam,

When I had my tang it grew from 1" to over four in less than six months. With proper feeding it will grow as fast as it wants to.. So I can't really give you an idea of how much how fast.. Sorry..

canadawest
01-14-2002, 03:09 AM
When I got my Blue it was about 2". That was about 9 months ago and the big pig is about 4" now. He's happy and healthy but he also has a 100gal 5' tank to swim in.

If your plans are to move to a bigger tank in LESS than a year, I'd say a little 1" Blue would be ok in your 50gal. But if you aren't serious about tearing down your tank in a year or less, then leave him for a better (bigger) home.

I agree the Yellows seem better suited to smaller tanks (50+), as mine doesn't seem to be as much of a big swimmer as my Blue is.

One_Divided
01-14-2002, 03:42 AM
Alright you guys are right.. I'll resist!

It's pretty harsh if you think about how many of those tangs will go out to improper homes though =(

"oh he's a small fish.. he'll be fine in my nano"

Troy F
01-14-2002, 01:06 PM
100 wrongs don't make a right images/smiles/icon_smile.gif . Good choice, responsible husbandry is tough sometimes but really, you just set a great example.

Axial Corillite
01-14-2002, 03:26 PM
I agree. Blues grow fairly quick and there tank hogs. He would have out grown your 50g pretty fast. Good choice one_Divided.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by One_Divided:
It's pretty harsh if you think about how many of those tangs will go out to improper homes though =(

"oh he's a small fish.. he'll be fine in my nano"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe from another LFS but not out of my tanks.

images/smiles/icon_mad.gif images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Axial Corillite
01-14-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys for the nice welcome. Yes I’m operator/not owner (yet) of Hillside Aquatics
And no thanks to Darren for reminding ME and everyone else that I used to work at Safari. Dam!!! I was trying to block that out. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And in light of resent and past threads. Hats off to Titus and all the moderators for this board, it’s an excellent place for us West coast boys (and girls) to hang out and BS about this amazing hobby. Key word being HOBBY.Don't get to serious.IMHO.

Please excuse my very highly educated spelling, punctuation and grammar
images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Oh ya I'm in the reef room. Corals are cool.
images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Aquattro
01-15-2002, 02:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike:
I used to work at Safari. Dam!!! I was trying to block that out.
Please excuse my very highly educated spelling, punctuation and grammar
images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

images/smiles/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You worked at Safari???? I'm not comin' to your store no more!!! Except when my snails get in. And when I get a MAG 18 to try on the skimmer. Oh, and when I run out of coffee at home. But that's it...not after that I won't come back. No sir!

DJ88
01-15-2002, 02:47 AM
Well now that Adam has made his decision hopefully we can keep this conversation going in the lounge..

It is nice to see a few newish faces here at the board. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Troy F
01-15-2002, 04:13 AM
Welcome aboard Mike, I take it you own/operate an aquarium/fish store?

One_Divided
01-15-2002, 04:14 AM
Oh I know you'd never sell them out wrong mike =).. wow you're on the board. welcome!

DJ88
01-15-2002, 04:56 AM
Troy,

Mike is at Hillside Aquatics in Victoria.

Nice to see ya here Mike.. We met a few times when I came into Safari with Andrew.

Stop in and say hi anytime.. I know you have experience with corals. You are always welcome to post. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Now if that isn't a welcome I don't know what is.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]