PDA

View Full Version : @#$%! BTA

Sushiman
11-26-2005, 03:18 AM
Anyone know of any non-traumatic ways to get a BTA to release it's hold on LR? I'm changing my system up to a 90gal aggressive /FOWLR set-up. The BTA has chosen to live in a great giant pacific barnicle that I'd really like to keep. Any thoughts?? :confused:

jimmyray
11-26-2005, 03:25 AM
i pointed a powerhead at mine took a day but he moved

vanreefer
11-26-2005, 03:45 AM
same with the PH

vertex
11-26-2005, 03:55 AM
I've tried the powerhead myself and some of my btas seem to just LOVE that and willingly stay. I've had to just rearrange or shade the area by other rocks or black acrylic and then the bta moves out once it decides it needs more light... just a thought, might work for you if the PH doesn't.

Skimmerking
11-26-2005, 04:11 AM
rub ice on them a little bit just enoughto bug him not to injure him /..

mike

OCDP
11-26-2005, 05:12 AM
Honestly... take your finernail and pry him off if its accessable. It does not harm them, BTA's are very hardy given you have good water paramters and such.... just pry him off.

Murminator
11-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Honestly... take your finernail and pry him off if its accessable. It does not harm them, BTA's are very hardy given you have good water paramters and such.... just pry him off.

Can you touch and anemone with your bare hands? don't they sting you? I have a condy that needs to come off a rock so I can give it back to Ed :redface: But I have been to chicken to touch it. so there area around him has been a little neglected. I do have the big coralife gloves but it's like picking your nose wearing boxing gloves. I tried the powerhead he loved it, I tried putting a big rock on top of him for a few days nothin now he partly shaded under my frag rack and he likes it :evil:

mr_alberta
11-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Unless you have really sensitive skin, you can't really feel most anemone stings (from what I've been reading anyway). My BTA, at it's stickiest, feels like velcro.

fishguyxd
11-26-2005, 08:16 PM
ya I'll second that ,mine too does
did not hurt you

OCDP
11-26-2005, 08:28 PM
BTA's are harmless.. they do feel kind of weird however... like mentioned that velcro feeling..

A condy may be another story though??? Not sure, I wouldnt be too worried though!

Murminator
11-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Unless you have really sensitive skin, you can't really feel most anemone stings (from what I've been reading anyway). My BTA, at it's stickiest, feels like velcro.

Remember your recently fragged zoos that put me in the hospital? :eek:

OCDP
11-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Eek... what happened with the the zoos??

Sushiman
11-27-2005, 12:14 AM
I'd like to avoid the prying it off the rock route. This is the only survivor of three BTA's that I purchased from a fellow hobbiest, the others died shortly after purchase and each had torn bases due to rough extractions.
If I can't get him to dislodge peacefully I'm not going to worry about it too much. He'll just have to make do in the new big tank.

Beverly
11-27-2005, 01:55 AM
To move my BTA, I use slightly more water flow to move it. Have tried heavy duty water flow, but that just seems to make it hold on tighter. Have also tried prying it off, but that just seems to hurt it, so that route was shortlived.

The only problem with moving a BTA is that it will still want to find the right spot in the tank for itself where it has a solid place to attach, the right amount of light and water flow.

Here's RC's Anemone FAQ....

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

And their Anemones & Clownfish forum....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

All good reading :smile:

scub steve
11-27-2005, 02:19 AM
when i had on i came up with a good idea that seemed to work i used a kinda turkey baster but smaller and i keep the anemone half in the water half out and i sprayed fresh water on the foot and it would always let go the water was also a little colder than the tanks