PDA

View Full Version : Is 84 degrees too hot?

Justin_18
11-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey everyone,

I Have a nano that is at the end of its cycle and I just replaced my glass thermometer with a digital one. It reads as 84 degrees farenheit. I was just wondering if this is too hot for fish, corals, and invertebrates. Will it be alright as long as it is kept constant or do I need to develop some way to cool the water? Unfortunately, this is not just a matter of turning down the heater. I have a mag 7 pump submersed as the return pump and I believe the pump is generating all the extra heat.

Thanks,

Justin

marie
11-25-2005, 10:53 PM
It's probably a little warmer then it should be because you have no margin for error. Maybe a small fan could be used to cool things down a bit

Murminator
11-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Mine will hit 84 about an hour and half before the lights go out with no ill effects

Justin_18
11-25-2005, 11:56 PM
my tank may just have to be a global warming themed tank. :biggrin:

Actually I think I may freeze a big chunk of my top off water so the water topping off the tank will be ice cold. Do you think that'll work?

reeferaddict
11-26-2005, 12:56 AM
You should be OK.... but keep an eye on it... high temps affect the levels of dissolved oxygen so don't overstock... also remember that hydrometers aren't temp calibrated so keep an eye on salinity as well.

How far are the lights from the surface? I know I save about half my chiller power just by raising my lights 3 inches...