PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone ID my Anemone?

One_Divided
11-30-2001, 12:54 AM
I've had this guy for a while now and no one has been able to put a possitive ID on him. It was hitchen on the rock of my cup coral when I got it..

http://livevictoria.com/limestone/reef/anem01.jpg

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: One_Divided ]

Troy F
11-30-2001, 01:18 AM
Why don't you post that in Ron's forum on reefcentral. If anybody will give you a positive id it would be him. Almost looks like a small bubble tip that has bleached. Ask Ron, he'll know.

smokinreefer
11-30-2001, 01:43 AM
yup, thats my bet too! a E.quadricolor aka bubbletip.

Troy F
11-30-2001, 02:09 PM
That is an anenomea majano!!! Devilish creature. They reproduce like aiptaisia, but not much eats them.

A big LFS in cleveland had a plague of them in a 750 display tank. They tried peppermint shrimp, copper bands and several other butterflys. On the advice of a customer, they introduced a large emporer angel, and lo and behold, it chowed down!! Unfortunately, this is not a practical solution for most of us!

Also, rumor has it that Alf Nilsen completely dismantled and re-assembled his huge reef tank (the one pictured in TRA) out of frustration trying to get rid of these things.

They are meatier than aiptasia, and are easier to pluck off of a rock with a dull knife of plastic scraper, and usually won't grow back.

Bottom line.... Get rid of it now, while ther is only one!!

This was posted on reefcentral in Ron's forum, (I took the liberty of posting for you), by Adam and Ron.

Good Luck.

smokinreefer
11-30-2001, 02:44 PM
DOH!
hey troy, have you seen these in person before. i often see pieces of LR that have several small anenomes like the one above, except a dark green in color. ive always assumed they were small e.quads. could these be one in the same? and i almost bought that rock too images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Troy F
11-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Nope, haven't seen them in person and do not know if they have colour morphs.

The reason I posted on reefcentral is because finding an E.quad hitchhiker seemed a little too good to be true. Adam is an experienced reefer and y'all know Ron's track record. I just wanted you to have the best information, what you choose to do with it is up to you. If they were enough of a pest for Alf to tear down his aquarium then I'd be cautious.

I think if there are additional questions on the subject that you should go to the source. My nickname is Green Lantern, go to the post I started called, "Need ID" and ask away.

DJ88
11-30-2001, 05:57 PM
Adam..

I had two in my 90 a while ago and asked the same question of DR Ron.. His reply was the same.. Get it out..

If it was me I woudln't take the chance. If it is wandering it will come in contact with something or another at one point. And my bet will be on that little bugger winning the stinging war.

But that is my thoughts on it.

Pretty? or Plague? your choice...

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

One_Divided
11-30-2001, 08:22 PM
All of these Adam names are confusing me! lol

Alright, thanks Troy! He's comin out then.. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I'll figure it out..

Silverfish
11-30-2001, 08:27 PM
Small frying pan, medium heat, olive oil, and minced garlic... delicious! images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Troy F
11-30-2001, 08:49 PM
Bruce, you been hanging out with Horge?

One_Divided
12-01-2001, 04:18 AM
I've had it for about 4 months now and it hasn't done any harm.. hmm.. what do you guys think? I don't want to get rid of it!

It has moved around a lot and never left any clones behind or anything, so I don't see it being much of a threat to my reef.

Samw
12-01-2001, 05:13 AM
Found this on the net while looking for sample output of good digital cameras (I'm in the market for one. Suggestions anyone? 3-4 Megapixels).

This anemone looks the same as yours. The owner labelled it as a Ritteri Anemone.
http://home.twcny.rr.com/trmrcoon/aquaria/aquaria.htm

http://home.twcny.rr.com/trmrcoon/aquaria/images/Ritteri.jpg

[ 01 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]

reefburnaby
12-01-2001, 11:41 PM
3 to 4 megapixels....Nikon 995, Nikon 4000 or Olympus C3040.

- Victor.

[ 01 December 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

reefburnaby
12-02-2001, 03:33 AM
opps...forgot to tell you why they are good.

Nikon 9xx series have an awesome Macro lens...good for those super closeup shots. I think the minimum focus size is something like 1 inch square. Lots of features...picture quality is not the absolute best...but it is pretty good.

Olympus...well they are good too. The good sony ones are too expensive...the cheap ones just suck.

Do you really need 3 to 4 megapixels ? If you are just posting images...then 1.3 is all you really need.

- Victor.

Samw
12-04-2001, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Nikon 9xx series. It looks like the best of the bunch. Too bad there's isn't any audio for movie recording. That's the only feature that I wished it would have that it doesn't already have.

I only want the 3 Megapixel capability for the odd time that I want to print large photos. I want to make my analog camera obsolete.

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Delphinus
12-04-2001, 08:04 PM
Hate to jump in here like this, but since no-one else has already pointed it out, I'm going to ...

Sam W, that picture you posted is not a ritteri (Heteractis magnifica). The anemone shown is Entacmea quadricolor, bubble-tip anemone.